OP
OP
Art2249

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a little confused. people sometimes run their skimmer intake to the outside in order to reduce the amount of CO2. Supposedly this helps raise the PH somewhat. Wouldn't injecting O2 into your skimmer accomplish the same thing. I will say that when I aerated fresh saltwater with oxygen vs. an air pump the PH was higher. I actually had to switch over to room air for couple hours before using it.

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm a little confused. people sometimes run their skimmer intake to the outside in order to reduce the amount of CO2. Supposedly this helps raise the PH somewhat. Wouldn't injecting O2 into your skimmer accomplish the same thing. I will say that when I aerated fresh saltwater with oxygen vs. an air pump the PH was higher. I actually had to switch over to room air for couple hours before using it.
you are correct. I also run a hose from outside to my skimmer and raises ph slightly. Using O2 would cost a lot if you were thinking bout using a tank.. cheaper to pull air from outside.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pulling outside air into the skimmer raises pH because it had less co2 than indoor air. Sure, oxygen fed to a shimmer intake would have less co2 as well, but you're talking about a huge amount of air that would deplete the oxygen tank relatively quickly.

OP
OP
Art2249

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are correct. I also run a hose from outside to my skimmer and raises ph slightly. Using O2 would cost a lot if you were thinking bout using a tank.. cheaper to pull air from outside.
So I guess what's happening is your not trying to raise ph with oxygen rather you are preventing CO2 from lowering ph by displacing it. I have a used O2 concentrator from a yard sale. It pulls 3 amps. You can adjust it from 1 to 5 liter/min. I wonder if you Could program the controller to operate it?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess what's happening is your not trying to raise ph with oxygen rather you are preventing CO2 from lowering ph by displacing it. I have a used O2 concentrator from a yard sale. It pulls 3 amps. You can adjust it from 1 to 5 liter/min. I wonder if you Could program the controller to operate it?
I don't think oxygen concentraters remove co2 from the air that they use. I think they only remove nitrogen.

OP
OP
Art2249

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think oxygen concentraters remove co2 from the air that they use. I think they only remove nitrogen.
No actually I use oxygen at night because of sleep apnea. It bleeds into my cpap at 2 lpm. The machine produces about 96% pure oxygen. I bought the one from a yard sale as a backup it was $100. The one I use for sleep has been running every night for 3 years. its about halfway through it's lifetime.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygen has absolutely no effect on pH in reef aquaria. The reason that drawing outside air into your skimmer raises your pH has nothing to do with oxygen. It is because the air from outside has less CO2 in it than the air in your home. If you see an increase in pH by forcing 100% oxygen into the tank, it is because there is no CO2 in the pure oxygen and all of the oxygen you are dissolving in your tank is displacing some of the CO2 in the water. The oxygen is not raising the pH directly. Note that air is made up of much more than just oxygen: replacing all the other natural atomspheric gasses in your tank with only oxygen may cause harm to the animals in your tank.

Please read Randy's article on low pH to get a better idea of how pH works in reef aquaria. pH in reef aquaria is controlled in part by carbonate alkalinity and in part by dissolved CO2. It is not controlled by dissolved oxygen.

OP
OP
Art2249

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygen has absolutely no effect on pH in reef aquaria. The reason that drawing outside air into your skimmer raises your pH has nothing to do with oxygen. It is because the air from outside has less CO2 in it than the air in your home. If you see an increase in pH by forcing 100% oxygen into the tank, it is because there is no CO2 in the pure oxygen and all of the oxygen you are dissolving in your tank is displacing some of the CO2 in the water. The oxygen is not raising the pH directly. Note that air is made up of much more than just oxygen: replacing all the other natural atomspheric gasses in your tank with only oxygen may cause harm to the animals in your tank.

Please read Randy's article on low pH to get a better idea of how pH works in reef aquaria. pH in reef aquaria is controlled in part by carbonate alkalinity and in part by dissolved CO2. It is not controlled by dissolved oxygen.
Yea I would think 100% definately be bad. But what if you only raised O2 by a fraction? Say 25% vs 21% ? So let's say you have a large skimmer How much air does it pull? What would be the effect of injecting 1/2 lpm O2?

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I would think 100% definately be bad. But what if you only raised O2 by a fraction? Say 25% vs 21% ?

This is a very difficult question to answer, but the answer is likely not relevant in the context of increasing pH in seawater. Randy might be better able to answer this one.

I can say that oxygen and carbon dioxide are not foils in seawater with regards to pH. In other words, if CO2 is bad for pH, oxygen is not necessarily good. pH in seawater is controlled by a very specific balancing of carbonate, bicarbonate and carbonic acid. Assuming constant carbonate alkalinity, CO2 decreases pH, while absence of CO2 increases it. It is only by adding or removing CO2 from seawater that we can push the equilibrium one direction or another, and thereby affect pH.

OP
OP
Art2249

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very difficult question to answer, but the answer is likely not relevant in the context of increasing pH in seawater. Randy might be better able to answer this one.

I can say that oxygen and carbon dioxide are not foils in seawater with regards to pH. In other words, if CO2 is bad for pH, oxygen is not necessarily good. pH in seawater is controlled by a very specific balancing of carbonate, bicarbonate and carbonic acid. Assuming constant carbonate alkalinity, CO2 decreases pH, while absence of CO2 increases it. It is only by adding or removing CO2 from seawater that we can push the equilibrium one direction or another, and thereby affect pH.
Well I appreciate the discussion anyway. Thanks for the info. here is my tank build if you're interested. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/art2249s-160g-build.383321/

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is actually a fairly easy question to approximate.

CO2 makes up 0.04% of air. Your skimmer probably pulls around 10L per minute of air flow. Adding an additional 1/2L per minute of pure oxygen would displace around 5% of the total air. So, it would reduce the 0.04% by an additional 5%. Using this, you would reduce the total amount of CO2 added by 0.002%. In other words, you likely wouldn't notice.

Hope that helps!

Edit: Of course, I found a flaw in my logic. Even though it would reduce CO2 content by .002% (making it roughly 0.038% of the total injected volume) the actual reduction in CO2 in the water would still be 5%. My conclusion should still be right in that it would be negligible and would not create a 5% change in pH. This is due to the equilibrium equations impacting pH/Alkalinity and the fact pH is a logarithmic scale.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding O2 won't alter pH. CO2 and O2 do not compete for "space" in the water. You can have any combination of one high and the other low, both high, both low, etc.

If you bubble O2 so strongly that it is bubbling out the top of the water, some CO2 gas will enter the O2 bubble and be swept away. That would tend to raise pH, but could be done with any gas (e.g., N2) just as well (from the pH perspective, anyway.).

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reference:
Small changes in CO2 have large impacts in percentage by volume. Small changes in O2 do not.

Things that make you go hmmm. If you are locked in a room with no means of ventilation, from what will you die?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t keeping the water surface moving affect dissolved oxygen? Does this affect pH?
Keeping surface water moving impacts the CO2 content in the water, which impacts pH.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back