Ph graph is cool as useful

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First controller use for me, Hydros Control 4. I was explaining the benefit of the Ph monitoring to a non-reefing friend and thought I’d share for non-controller reefers.

The graphing of the Ph levels over time serves 4 main purposes for me.

First, but least valuable IMO, is the basic wave showing high late afternoon, low in morning. Interesting, but not that valuable.

Second, the overall Ph level is nice, but the charted numbers aren’t that critical other than guesstimating an average.

Third, and really cool, are the micro-spikes. The chart has instant spikes quickly disappearing. That’s from the dosing pump kicking out new alk or calcium into the sump, dissipated shortly after. The presence of these spikes tells me that the dosing pump is working. If my pumps stopped, I would expect no more spikes and could then take action.

Fourth, and also cool/useful, is the slow increase or decrease over time at the low point. I was dosing 50ml/day but needed to adjust up on Fridays. I saw the bottom of the curve keep dropping lower each day. When I then changed the dosing to 85ml/day, the bottom almost leveled, showing about 0.01 higher each day. This tells me that maybe 83ml/day is ideal? If the curve is leveled perfectly but then starts lowering each day over time, I will probably have indications that the coral growth is such as to merit increase of dosing. Now, obviously my weekly test tells me that also, but redundant indicators seems nice. If I see a radical shift, that might indicate a different problem, like maybe a dosing tube falling off or clogging.

Anyone have any other chart-related observations to share?

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I too just got my APEX and I am having fun watching the different levels as well. I am looking for trends as I go, and I think it will be way more fun when I start dosing and can see the improvements that I am making. I like putting the 4 readings up and looking to see if there is any relation to each other.

ajl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to what you shared already, which was great, it also helped me diagnose when my refugium light was left on. My pH really went up and didn't dip as much when it used to. Which is all great, but not sustainable for my poor chaeto!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back