Ph Issues... Performed Randy's Aeration Test....

ericegg01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had these same issues and I frustrated myself to no end... I resolved my issue by running my skimmer airline to a DIY canister with the BRS Color Changing Medical Grade CO2 Absorbent inside of it (CO2 scrubber). Only problem with that is that I was buying 3lbs of it every month... that's $50/month. :(

OP
OP
DarthSimon

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what I had running outside...
Looks like I may have been restricting the airflow on, pics are what I had before and what I think I just made better...
240bc5850679415aa825b3d8727f753a.jpg
518f92fa446ac4bd791644926b59e50e.jpg

And now.
71fcb79b06433ef9e5e90f8cdc8f062f.jpg

ee84146680d811314fa82a5713e806d6.jpg

The little L piece has a very small opening as you can see inside plus the angle. Maybe flow was working but restricted???

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on how far away your going you might want a larger diameter line so the air moves freely with no restrictions from a smaller tube

OP
OP
DarthSimon

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer is about 3-4 feet away from where that airline is...

OP
OP
DarthSimon

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had these same issues and I frustrated myself to no end... I resolved my issue by running my skimmer airline to a DIY canister with the BRS Color Changing Medical Grade CO2 Absorbent inside of it (CO2 scrubber). Only problem with that is that I was buying 3lbs of it every month... that's $50/month. :(

So you had a fresh air line and scrubber was better for your pH?

Mindi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have been down same path...outside skimmer air failed to make an impact for me. Opening windows and doors did... that solution was short lived. Made a very easy and cheap CO2 scrubber for skimmer intake and solves the problem. It's effect seems to outweigh all the other gas exchange evenbts in my tank by a long way. Perfect solution except for the frequency and replenishment costs of Sodalime. Thats the only problem with the scrubber. My 150G will literally go from 7.9 to 8.1 in a few hours when I put good sodalime in the jar.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
So I have a 3 month old Red Sea Reefer 250, with Mixed reef and fish.... Have mostly LPS, Softies, and a 2 Small Pieces of SPS. My corals seem to be happy and healthy. Tank Parms are as follows:

PH 7.7(3am) to 7.9(6pm End Photo Period)
Kh 10-11
Calcium 440-450
Nitrate 0-.01
Phosphate .03
Magnesium 1350.

I feel my Ph should be higher. I have never had a tank in the past with 7.7
Using Full Blown Apex System with DOS. Running 2 Part Bionic Dosing all Day 25ml of each
Seems to be my dosing number keep above Kh and Calcium Stable with current coral load.

So performed Aeration test from Randy's ReefKeeper Page. Took cup of tank water 7.8 outside house and ran air stone for 60 minutes. Brought back in house and dipped my Ph probe in cup. Got 8.1 reading. I then took another cup of tank water and and did same test inside house, inside my cabinet close to where sump is. After hour Ph went from 7.86 to 7.88 with Infused (Airstone) under the tank house air.

So according to test, tank aeration has no benifit. Co2 issue present....
Problem is I ran an a fresh airline from outside house directly into my Skimmer. Icecap 120. According to my Apex, pre airline my lows during dark periods at night were about 7.65 . Highs during photo period 7.7. Post airline is lows 7.75 to and highs are 7.9 to 7.94. So a .1 Difference??

Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible the skimmer isn't strong enough?
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

I have my tank right next to my back door. If I leave the screen door open, it may jump from 7.8 to 8.1 over the whole day, with a whole door open 3 feet away. A small airline won't do much.

Running an airline straight into your system from outside can be dangerous as well. There could be pesticides in the air, ect...

Maybe try one of those window fans that suck air into the house from outside near where the tank is located? Summer is tough with ac on all the time. Happens to everyone.

Fishresponse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with my 265g. Today and yesterday I've had the windows open and had a .12 increase with a max today of 8.02. Wish I could keep the windows open all year. Has anyone put together a "how-to" on the soda ash CO2 scrub method?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you had a fresh air line and scrubber was better for your pH?

A scrubber can potentially lower CO2 more than outside air. But it also costs more. :)

ericegg01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for long post but some background... We have a immune deficient child in our home. This means windows are 90% closed year round, house is airtight (professionally done) to protect against airborne germs/bacteria etc... I had my 90gal setup for 4yrs before our child was diagnosed, never had issues with my PH until we tightened up the house. Then I started to have issues with PH (7.7-8) but every other parameter/organism was fine. After fighting it for 1yr (every known supplement)I did the water test inside and out and knew it was a CO2 problem.

Couldn't run a line outside do to problem above so I made this CO2 scrubber (see pic). My PH immediately went to 8.2-3. However as I stated before it cost me $50 a month when I upgraded to my 240gal. Basically you're scrubbing (removing) the CO2 in the air which is going into the skimmer. Our houses with us in it have enough CO2 from us and everything else to have this impact on our tanks. Some more so than others.

Hope this helps

Another note... this thread is helping me heal... thank you.

DIY CO2 Scrubber.jpg

OP
OP
DarthSimon

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eric,
Thank you very much for the post.
I just ordered a new Reef Octopus Skimmer, has 900 IPH Air Intake. My current skimmer is 400. Maybe this will do the trick.
I wanted a new skimmer anyhow. Not Happy with icecap..... Very inconsistent skimming....

Question is will the bigger pull on the Reef Octo bring more air in. I can also try the Scrubber. Which do you think will work better guys?

ericegg01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The way I perceive it... it's not how much air you intake it's what you intake. I believe divers use this soda lime to recycle their air, so by using soda lime you'll remove the CO2 from intake all together. Why not do both. Believe me I'm not the best DIY'er but making a scubber is supper easy, you can use any soda/pop bottle that's clear.

My vent line for my skimmer was 5/8" outside dia. 1/2" inside dia.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. CO2 scrubbers work best when the air intake line sucks in moist air.
If you take a look at this thread (towards the end) there is a recommendation given to me by a fellow R2R'r (@XNavyDiver ) on how to plumb your intake line through your skimmer cup which has drastically improved the longevity of my CO2 media. I was going through media every two days. Now I am on two weeks and still haven't even seen it turn violet yet. Hope this idea helps someone else.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/low-ph-and-high-alk-help-appreciated.318109/

OP
OP
DarthSimon

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the scrubber canister and media from BFS. So I will try the outside fresh air line into the scrubber, then into my skimmer.
You think I should stick with older skimmer with air pull of 400 LPH or Install Reef Octo with 900 LPH?

Thoughts?

wishnewfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*Disclaimer, I am not an expert in marine aquarium and this is my 3rd year in hobby *
I faced similar questions and this is my theory:
The airline relatively draws small % of air from outside compared to what is already present in your house and is getting aerated in your tank.
My tank has similar issue where the PH fluctuates between 7.7 - 7.9 between my photo periods.

For home which have higher CO2 (for what ever reason) the best we can attempt to keep is at 8.0 or 7.9 max without messing up with other parameters.
The best solutions available are:

1. Kalk auto top off - which keeps CA and Alk to desired level. The aim of Kalk is to maintain right level, not to increase PH (Although this is a desirable side effect)

2. Run Cheato for longer periods with good quality light (Red/Blue spectrum lights) - there are many brand lights available on eBay and amazon which provide decent wattage/par which enhances growth of Cheatos which in turn increase O2 level high in your tank.
Using regular light/led/CFL is pretty useless in my opinion.

3. Add more corals which or those type of corals which have higher zooxantalene (forgive my typo) so it again fixes more O2 into the water.

The above three methods will help increase the Ph by a 0.1 - 0.3

More options to change the house settings:
1. Running the airline for those who can manage to run a line from outside.
2. Using a special duct for outside air into the A/C unit, most of the modern AC units support this addition and they can control how much % of air by volume they should allow from outside.
Modern units like ecobee and smart things controlled AC units can also keep this vents open if the outside air temperature and humidity are close to desirable indoor temps so it pushes the outside air continuously if the outside weather is favorable.
This is more desirable because it filters the air though its filter pads and makes sure the humidity levels etc are constant.

I am currently doing the first three items I mentioned.
Thinking of doing the air vent because it keeps general air quality better.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the scrubber canister and media from BFS. So I will try the outside fresh air line into the scrubber, then into my skimmer.
You think I should stick with older skimmer with air pull of 400 LPH or Install Reef Octo with 900 LPH?

Thoughts?

I would not assume more air pull is going to solve the issue.

OP
OP
DarthSimon

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
So would you try the fresh air line into the scrubber, then into skimmer? Or just pull the air from under the tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
So would you try the fresh air line into the scrubber, then into skimmer? Or just pull the air from under the tank?

If you already have a line to outside, and it doesn't restrict the air flow too much, you'll consume less media using the outside air.

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?

Man, i feel your pain like no tomorrow. i've legit done all i can to chase that dang number myself. tried everything from new probes, different brands, different brands of calibration fluid, micro bubble, fresh air line from outside going into the DUAL co2 scrubber, tablespoon of RO water in the co2 canisters, different brands of media... everything. still 7.75 lights off 8.0 at peak... BUT ITS STEADY, CONSISTENT... so i've let go of it and let the tank do its thing. all of my other parameters are on point, SPS dom tank and the colors are full and vibrant, and my fish are happy, healthy, and beautiful. so as long as you bring it within "range", even if its at the low end. ride it out. let your tank stabilize and tell you where its happy.

IMG_5304.JPG

IMG_5305.JPG

OP
OP
DarthSimon

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy... So in essence Using fresh air from outside, scrubbing it to remove Co2 from air, would be even better then the aeration test with putting airstone into cup of tank water outside???

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back