0   0   0
Hi,

I have a Fluval evo 52L (13 gallon)
1 kenya tree frag
1 plating monti
1 gsp frag
2 small clownfish

So nothing heavy at the moment, looking to get some more corals in the future

I had issues with phosphate/nitrate causing huge amounts of green algae that I now have under control by using NOxPO4-X.
I am now using smaller daily (or every other day) doses of nopox to keep under control.

I've always had issues with pH being low but have noticed that my pH has dropped considerably (latest test 7.6 (tested at the same daylight hour each time)), my kenya tree always looks half closed nowadays.

I've tried increasing pH by opening the windows in the room, lots of air flow, even by adding an air pump to the tank but none of this has helped
don't really have space for a skimmer or refugium on this nano tank

I've been looking into pH buffers but not entirely sure on these - is there anything you could recommend?

Was also thinking of using kalkwasser but I don't have an issue with calcium or kH at the moment and don't want to be messing around with those if I don't need to
(calcium at 440 and kH at 12 I guess those won't change until I put in corals that will actually use it)

I'm scared of stopping nopox as I really don't want the algae to come back (took me aaaages to get in under control)

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi,

1 kenya tree frag
1 plating monti
1 gsp frag
2 small clownfish

I had issues with phosphate/nitrate causing huge amounts of green algae that I now have under control by using NOxPO4-X.
I am now using smaller daily (or every other day) doses of nopox to keep under control.

I've always had issues with pH being low but have noticed that my pH has dropped considerably (latest test 7.6 (tested at the same daylight hour each time)), my kenya tree always looks half closed nowadays.

I've tried increasing pH by opening the windows in the room, lots of air flow, even by adding an air pump to the tank but none of this has helped

I've been looking into pH buffers but not entirely sure on these - is there anything you could recommend?

Was also thinking of using kalkwasser but I don't have an issue with calcium or kH at the moment and don't want to be messing around with those if I don't need to
(calcium at 440 and kH at 12 I guess those won't change until I put in corals that will actually use it)

I'm scared of stopping nopox as I really don't want the algae to come back (took me aaaages to get in under control)
What is your Ph on new water you mix? Maybe water changes?

OP
OP
M

MSReefer786

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH on freshly made saltwater is 8.2-8.3

Even with larger water changes by the next day or two pH drops significantly :/

Panicked Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand carbon dosing methods like Nopox is going to lower your PH. It may not be an option but I would suggest using a fuge or algae scrubber in stead of nopox. These methods should slightly increase your PH over time.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is determined by the alkalinity and CO2 in the water.

Many folks have elevated CO2 in their home air, which tends to drop the pH.

This has more:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be more concerned with dosing NOPOX to such an extent it hinders algal growth. Have you bottomed out Nitrate and Phosphate?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is alkalinity and carbonate hardness practically the same or no?

For an ordinary reefer, they are close enough.

The alk we measure by tritration counts many things (bicarbonate, carbonate, borate, silicate, phosphate, etc):

TA = [HCO3–] + 2[CO3—] + [B(OH)4–] + [OH–] + [Si(OH)3O–] + [MgOH+] + [HPO4—] + 2[PO4—] – [H+]

Carbonate alkalintiy is only:

TA = [HCO3–] + 2[CO3—]

Here's the relative contribution in normal seawater:

Chemical Species Relative Contribution To Alkalinity (%)
HCO3– (bicarbonate)................89.8
CO3— (carbonate).....................6.7
B(OH)4– (borate)........................2.9
SiO(OH)3– (silicate.....................0.2
MgOH+ (magnesium monohydroxylate) 0.1
OH– (hydroxide)..........................0.1
HPO4— and PO4— (phosphate) 0.1

THis has more:

ikaros70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be excess co2 in your home.
That was my issue with low ph.
I was running 7.9 during the day, would get down to mid 7.8’s at night.
I just ran the skimmer air line through the wall, drawing in outside air.
My ph now gets to 8.2 during day, 8.1 at night. Much better ph range. I may not ever see 8.3, at least not with my current system, I carbon dose and that brings down ph some.
An easy way to check if it’s excess co2, just run the skimmer air line outside, if your ph shoots up within 24-48 hours, you’ll have your answer.
When I tried this, my ph shot up to 8.2 within about 12 hours or so.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
It may just be excess co2 in your home.
That was my issue with low ph.
I was running 7.9 during the day, would get down to mid 7.8’s at night.
I just ran the skimmer air line through the wall, drawing in outside air.
My ph now gets to 8.2 during day, 8.1 at night. Much better ph range. I may not ever see 8.3, at least not with my current system, I carbon dose and that brings down ph some.
An easy way to check if it’s excess co2, just run the skimmer air line outside, if your ph shoots up within 24-48 hours, you’ll have your answer.
When I tried this, my ph shot up to 8.2 within about 12 hours or so.
Yes but they have no room for a skimmer. Possibly they could take their air pump outside just to test. Don’t think full time would be an option.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi,

1 kenya tree frag
1 plating monti
1 gsp frag
2 small clownfish

Opening the windows can certainly help if CO2 is your culprit, but with that, you would also need really good surface agitation to exchange the CO2 and O2.

OP
OP
M

MSReefer786

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dKH is 12
The whole point of nopox is to prevent algae - I haven't bottomed out nitrate and phosphate - nitrate is generally between 2-5 and phosphates 0.04-0.08
Yes I don't have space for skimmer
Will try and see if moving air pump outside makes a difference but yeah not an option longterm in the UK and it's freezing here at the moment!

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dKH is 12
The whole point of nopox is to prevent algae - I haven't bottomed out nitrate and phosphate - nitrate is generally between 2-5 and phosphates 0.04-0.08
Yes I don't have space for skimmer
Will try and see if moving air pump outside makes a difference but yeah not an option longterm in the UK and it's freezing here at the moment!
Carbon dosing without a skimmer? Not heard of that before if you discount fish foods.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back