Philipps Coral Care Gen2 or ATI Straton

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I am trying to take advantage of some of the sales going on right now but I am undecided on the Phillips coral care Gen2 versus ATI Straton.

My tank set up is an in-wall 405 gallon reef savvy tank that measures 120 inches wide by 28 inches front to back in 24 inches high. Tank is a mixed reef in the truest form with everything from zoanthids and leathers to SPS.

Fish room has dedicated AC and a dehumidifier, so I’m not concerned with the fixtures holding up to the elements. I am also not overly concerned with power consumption or heat generated by the fixtures.

my primary concern is functionality and appropriate light spread. Ideally I would only like to use for fixtures as the tank has a 12”-wide glass center brace, so a fifth fixture would produce a visible difference in the tank.

I will be going from radium bulbs on electronic ballasts to LED. I am currently supplementing with reefbright XO strips and can leave them or remove them.

GQuinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Coralcare gen 2 lights on Wednesday when they were on sale.. I like these lights, They are well built, easy to set-up and run. I am very happy with my purchase. Note: If you like the blue look, these lights are not for you unless you supplement. i am running mine at 100 % power, 100 % blue, 60 % white. It has a look of the old 10k bulbs with vho actinic supplementation. The light has a slight purplish blue look to it, but on the white side. I used to run 250 watt hqi Phoenix bulbs with no supplementation, but like the more natural look of the coralcare gen 2. I am running 2 of the coralcare over my 150 gallon (60”x 24”).

Last edited:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like @GQuinn said, it’s going to boil down to your preference of blue heavy or daylight heavy. The Philips is designed to provide sps level par but only on full daylight. Based on some of the data out there you may struggle to even get 200 par max under something like an ab+ setting. I would be comfortable with either honestly. Build quality looks comparable. Maybe a slight edge in construction to the Philips. Just simply from their track record alone as a big company making quality stuff

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I grabbed a pair of the CoralCare gen 2 when they first came out a couple months ago and I have to say I'm very happy with them.
Once I figured out the controller it was pretty darn simple.
I truly love the look of the fixture and the "no fans" is huge.
I wish I would have waited for the sale.

Also I found alot of help on Facebook in the Philips CoralCare International group.

OP
OP
Stylo328

Stylo328

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all. I decided to go with the ATI Straton. I called ATI of N America and a shipment is expected in the coming weeks. I’ll post pictures on this thread once mounted. Happy holidays.

PocketRiot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you choose the straton?

I’m looking to get the coral pro gen 2 a d curious on your decision process.

Lights are so expensive I want to make sure I make the right choice the first time

U

User1

View Badges
I believe you will be happy with either. Similar concept in panel design as it relates to passive cooling. One incorporates power supply. The other traditional external power supply although a quality one with MeanWell. ATI throws more LED's and supposedly runs at lower power for thermal management. I'm not sure but that is what I believe I've read. If so and let us say they are running them at 70% you have the potential for one heck of a long lasting life span. This...could be huge.

Phillips Coral Care Gen 2 is lower watt so less par but went with a heavy duty heat sink design. Smaller then their Gen 1 but same concept to include a power supply. So good thermal management. This means less cords and power bricks. Huge design win (my opinion) because we all know we have too many already :) Philips is more popular overseas with the EMEA boys and girls so when people review them they don't understand the spectrum. Even BRS fell for this in their review and said it was not to their blue spectrum preference. And by trying to make a natural looking unit look like a radion blue they had to turn down too many LED's and thus reduced par. SO they said mixed reef only and missed the mark completely (I like brs but this one was a bad review - wrong tool for the job).

So with this out of the way and knowing you already pulled the trigger both of these lights are stars. A bit too expensive but they set the standard moving forward. Comparing them to the G5's it is clear they wanted something different and delivered. The reviews of actual hobbyist use and not unboxing youtube clips show solid colors and growth. Neither light caused negative issues. I think in the end it comes down to mounting and spectrum requirements so you get the right tool for the job.

Me personally? If I was to swap out my Kessil a360x's (don't see that happening but if I was) I would look at both of these. I would probably pick the Philips Gen 2's for the spectrum. I like the high noon natural sun look. It is more natural and what I'm familiar with as a scuba diver. I would go with three over my 210 gallon which is 54 x 30 x 30. That would be mine. Not only spectrum it is easier mounting and the reduction of power supplies.

ATI's is a darn fine choice and if it had different mounting options I would have maybe chosen it. Back to the right tool for the job. That and based on my reading on how it works and LED's are deployed I think this light has a great chance of a 5 to 7 year life expectancy.

So that is why I would look at them both and why "I" would go with the Philips units.

If you didn't catch these two threads - would have been a good read before purchasing. Both are facts on use not unboxing stuff. The members here - both top notch people. Well done, good dialog, good images. Best of luck.

Back