Philips coral care gen 2

s2k

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - does anyone have a full tank shot using coral care gen 2 with 100% blue and white on? I want to see how “white” it looks. Thanks!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - does anyone have a full tank shot using coral care gen 2 with 100% blue and white on? I want to see how “white” it looks. Thanks!
Until you get that best guess:
The argument being made here is that the CoralCare was designed for the European market first, which strongly prefers a "natural" 10,000-14,000K look. The full-on blue, no-white, actinics-only type reefs that are common in the US are not something that was designed for. BRS tested these lights with blues at 100% and whites at 30% to match the color temp they liked (very blue), so of course the output will be predictably diminished.

Granted just saying 10,000-14,000 is sort of meaningless since you can have any range of tones.
No good comparing them to MH's either since most have "made up" K temps.
BTW that sort of makes an estimate of the second channel alone at like 24000K
The white channel is around 4000K so any "whiteness" can be between 4000-24000k is possible w/ increases/decreases of par of course.

what each K looks like??? But a guess would be more to the violet blue range than deep blue. Most images (accuracy?) lead in that direction.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 157 75.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back