Philips CoralCare LED - Let the Testing Begin!

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard that Terence from Neptun Systems has 4 Coral Care units over his tank and his corals grow incredibly well. Can't wait to see Dana's results. Thank you so much, Dana, for doing this. (I am also interested in these lights for my new build).
I'm not sure how many, but yes @Terence has been running the Gen1 coralcares for what, 3~ish years?
Yes, 4 CoralCare v1 with two ReefBrite SuperActinics for about 3.5 years. The CC by itself was a little lacking in blue/sub-blue spectrum a little, hence the ReefBrites. They have performed incredibly well. The LED mixing is good and while I thought I would miss fine control of the channels, I love how simple the two channel approach is. I do believe that there are less LED in this new one, and also less watts I believe (due to making new version for USA I believe - but that is just speculation) - I look forward to hearing what Dana has to say.

I will say that I am quite tired of lifting up my canopy hood and the bulk of these fixtures creates many challenges. If you do not have a canopy or you cannot mount to the ceiling or you do not enjoy the big industrial look, this might not be the light for you. Also, if I were hanging by wires, even though these are supposed to be water proof to some degree, I am not super keen to having line voltage over my tank. Mine are actually bolted to the hood with J brackets so I am not worried about that - but if I had it on one of those cable suspension kits I certainly would be.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOT of energy in the green spectrum. Curious to hear your thoughts on that
Yellow-green is 531 to 570 nm, which is on the fringe of absorption by the accessory pigment peridinin. Looks like I'm going to have to write another Excel program to further analyze. It never ends....LOL.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow-green is 531 to 570 nm, which is on the fringe of absorption by the accessory pigment peridinin. Looks like I'm going to have to write another Excel program to further analyze. It never ends....LOL.

Dana,
Philips led spread would seem to be top notch.

Does the Gen II have a tad amount of smooth shimmer like MH, or is it flattened out like a roll of T5s?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana,

Does the Gen II have a tad amount of smooth shimmer like MH, or is it flattened out like a roll of T5s?
Lensing effects of wave action is a complex subject. I wrote an article on 'glitter' about 15 years ago. Let me find it and I'll post.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pigments.JPG

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m waiting for an led fixture that performs like T5
Dana,

I saw one of the first examples in Holland last fall. IMO it gives you both T5:s smooth and even light and MH:s shimmer (if you want that). I that example I saw they have solved this seemingly impossible equation in a very elegance way. They use a diffuser plate but just under some of the LEDs (white as I remember) the plate is clear. In order to regulate the shimmer - just regulate the intensity of these few LEDs.

IMO - the aesthetics of the lights lends to a more European look (more whitish) compared with what you are used off in the US. If you look for a light that will "pop" your corals - this maybe is not the light for you but if you look for a light that will grow corals - I do not think you will be disappointed. But its only IMO - let us see what Dana has to say.

And please stop that endless price discussion - IMO it destroy the whole thread. If you are interested to discuss pricing - start an own thread about this. I´m interested to know one of the most knowledgeable in the field of reef lighting opinions about a fixture that can be a game changer according to the diversity of wavelengths. Please - do not destroy the joy of reading this thread.

Sincerely Lasse

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one of the first examples in Holland last fall. IMO it gives you both T5:s smooth and even light and MH:s shimmer (if you want that). I that example I saw they have solved this seemingly impossible equation in a very elegance way. They use a diffuser plate but just under some of the LEDs (white as I remember) the plate is clear. In order to regulate the shimmer - just regulate the intensity of these few LEDs.

IMO - the aesthetics of the lights lends to a more European look (more whitish) compared with what you are used off in the US. If you look for a light that will "pop" your corals - this maybe is not the light for you but if you look for a light that will grow corals - I do not think you will be disappointed. But its only IMO - let us see what Dana has to say.

And please stop that endless price discussion - IMO it destroy the whole thread. If you are interested to discuss pricing - start an own thread about this. I´m interested to know one of the most knowledgeable in the field of reef lighting opinions about a fixture that can be a game changer according to the diversity of wavelengths. Please - do not destroy the joy of reading this thread.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse,
Thanks for taking the time.

If it is good as the Gen I we saw in late 2016, it will not disappoint.

And agree about the pricing posts, as well.

It's been awhile since we have been on the same thread together, and hope you have been doing well.

Freddie

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They already said on their FB it's going to be the same price as their Gen 1s...~$750 US.

Screenshot_20200509-142142_Facebook.jpg

That's $750 US without factoring in the cost of getting the lights to the US (Manufacturer to Distributor), getting the lights to stores (Distributor to Retailers), and getting lights to customers (Retailers to End-Users). I just don't want anyone to think they are being price gouged once pricing is announced because it will be impossible to offer the lights at that amount.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's $750 US without factoring in the cost of getting the lights to the US (Manufacturer to Distributor), getting the lights to stores (Distributor to Retailers), and getting lights to customers (Retailers to End-Users). I just don't want anyone to think they are being price gouged once pricing is announced because it will be impossible to offer the lights at that amount.
So your saying these will be significantly more then $750?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that was cheap for a large reef light. BTW, what are the physical dimensions and the rated output?

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my only Expirience with Philip lights is that I own Philips hue lights. These lights are sold at a premium. They cost significantly more than any other bulb. I purchased these bulbs a long time ago 5yrs ago and the bulbs all work perfect. They have other smart leds that sell of 10% of what Philips charges for a bulb. But I won’t buy them.
to me there is a huge difference in performance and quality. we just moved and I took all my bulbs from my last house to the new home.

I am currently running kessils but I am in the market for a new light. So I will be following.

U

User1

View Badges
No, more like Limnology and Oceanography. LOL. A lab jack is an essential piece of equipment to any lab. But to answer your question, the CoralCare lamp has passive cooling meaning there are no fans to fail. Hence, the light is heavy and, being in the lab by myself, the lab jack made my life much easier.

Essential to data centers to lift our servers off the floor into the proper rack space :). Prevents a lot of back injuries although I'm talking about a server rack.... somewhat lab related :D

Not sure if I said thank you for what you are doing. I'm not needing any lights and so find your time in this worth while just for a learning and conversation point of view. Plus I've always had a special thing for Philips although I've personally never used their lights in home aquaria.

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the literature for the lighting posted in FB page, It would appear one light provides coverage for sps in a ~32"x24" area or up to a ~40"x32" area on a mixed reef. Would you say that this is accurate?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 4 CoralCare v1 with two ReefBrite SuperActinics for about 3.5 years. The CC by itself was a little lacking in blue/sub-blue spectrum a little, hence the ReefBrites. They have performed incredibly well. The LED mixing is good and while I thought I would miss fine control of the channels, I love how simple the two channel approach is. I do believe that there are less LED in this new one, and also less watts I believe (due to making new version for USA I believe - but that is just speculation) - I look forward to hearing what Dana has to say.

I will say that I am quite tired of lifting up my canopy hood and the bulk of these fixtures creates many challenges. If you do not have a canopy or you cannot mount to the ceiling or you do not enjoy the big industrial look, this might not be the light for you. Also, if I were hanging by wires, even though these are supposed to be water proof to some degree, I am not super keen to having line voltage over my tank. Mine are actually bolted to the hood with J brackets so I am not worried about that - but if I had it on one of those cable suspension kits I certainly would be.
I feel like were getting some inside information, I'm gonna have to refer back to these posts when Neptune releases their lights.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back