Phosphate removal? Will a reactor do it for me?

Superhanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!!

So I have been doing my weekly water changes while I wait for all my new test kits to come. I have a non digital phosphate test kit and the reading for that test kit said my phosphate was extremely high.

I have been using a phosphate and nitrate remover daily and as I don’t have many fish in my tank I presume it is me feeding the fish that is causing issues.

The chemical treatments hadone virtually nothing and I can’t seem to reduce my phosphates.

My question is will a reactor such as this one help reduce my phosphates? Would you recommend a certain type or size for a 250L tank?

Thank you for your help!!
FE1DCBC9-0C1E-4838-9817-D561831D21F6.png

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!!

So I have been doing my weekly water changes while I wait for all my new test kits to come. I have a non digital phosphate test kit and the reading for that test kit said my phosphate was extremely high?

I have been using a phosphate and nitrate remover daily and as I don’t have many fish in my tank I presume it is me feeding the fish that is causing issues.

The chemical treatments hadone virtually nothing and I can’t seem to reduce my phosphates.

My question is will a reactor such as this one help reduce my phosphates? Would you recommend a certain type or size for a 250L tank?

Thank you for your help!!
FE1DCBC9-0C1E-4838-9817-D561831D21F6.png
Yes, any reactor filled with phosphate removal media (such as GFO) will reduce phosphates. The question is why are yours so high. Are you using RO/DI water for your water changes? How many fish do you have and how heavy are you feeding them? The size of the reactor really isn't that important as long as it is big enough to hold the amount of media you will need......that is different based on what type of media you are going to use.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy and welcome. The AF90 would work also
What is your phosphate number? What test kit are you using? What N and P reducer are you dosing?

OP
OP
S

Superhanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, any reactor filled with phosphate removal media (such as GFO) will reduce phosphates. The question is why are yours so high. Are you using RO/DI water for your water changes? How many fish do you have and how heavy are you feeding them? The size of the reactor really isn't that important as long as it is big enough to hold the amount of media you will need......that is different based on what type of media you are going to use.

I am genuinely unsure why it’s so high! I was advised not to feed as much and reduce feeding days but I started to get worried about the health of my fish as my Tang was loosing weight.
So I presume it’s my feeding but I do 1 block of frozen food every 2 days.

I am using RO water that I buy from a LFS!
I have no sort of filtering system but I do have a protein skimmer that relatively “big” for the tank (what the fish store said when we got it) and judging by what I clean out of it, it’s doing a good job.

Again this tank has been set up for over a year and a half but I was no the one doing the maintenance and so now I am trying to do it by myself.

OP
OP
S

Superhanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy and welcome. The AF90 would work also
What is your phosphate number? What test kit are you using? What N and P reducer are you dosing?

I can’t remember the number exactly but tomorrow I will do another test to find the exact number!

In terms of dosing I am using..
Phosphate Remover by reef essentials 2ml
HR nitrate Remover by reef essentials 1ml
Both once a day

Kh/ alkalinity by Red Sea 2g scoop once in the morning once at night

calcium by Red Sea 2ml very day - stopped due to calcium being level being at 474

No po x by Red Sea 5ml every 3 days

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contents:
Phosphate Remover

Deionised water
Purified Lanthanum

Contents:
Nitrate Remover

– Deionised water
– Bioavailable Carbon Sources

Contents:
NoPox Remover

Vinegar & Vodka (along with ethanol and acetic acid).

This is what you are dosing.
Nitrate remover and no pox are about the same thing (carbon dosing to grow bacteria)

Lanthium chloride will bind the phosphate. It is best used dripped into a filter sock so the stuff can be removed. Other wise it just floats around the tank and settles to the bottom.

I would start a vodka/ vinegar dosing ramp up. It will work. It takes time to build the bacteria needed to start reducing nutrients.

You can also run the reactor with GFO. I would put a bag of it in the reactor. I use old mesh filter socks. Cut off the ring and rubberband. This way changing it out is a breeze.

OP
OP
S

Superhanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contents:
Phosphate Remover

Deionised water
Purified Lanthanum

Contents:
Nitrate Remover

– Deionised water
– Bioavailable Carbon Sources

Contents:
NoPox Remover

Vinegar & Vodka (along with ethanol and acetic acid).

This is what you are dosing.
Nitrate remover and no pox are about the same thing (carbon dosing to grow bacteria)

Lanthium chloride will bind the phosphate. It is best used dripped into a filter sock so the stuff can be removed. Other wise it just floats around the tank and settles to the bottom.

I would start a vodka/ vinegar dosing ramp up. It will work. It takes time to build the bacteria needed to start reducing nutrients.

You can also run the reactor with GFO. I would put a bag of it in the reactor. I use old mesh filter socks. Cut off the ring and rubberband. This way changing it out is a breeze.

Thank you for the breakdown!
So I should continue with the nopox? and get a reactor with a bag of gfo?
How much nopox would you recommend for 250l until I get my reactor?
Thank you for your advice!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant help with nopox dosing amounts.
I use both vinegar and vodka.
If you read the article it will give a schedule that increases your dose over time. Too much to fast and you have a bacterial bloom that will not be good.
I also run a GFO reactor along with dosing.
I dont have much of a problem. On my 600g tank I dose 4ml vodka and 30ml vinegar each day. I change out my GFO when I see PO4 rising beyond 0.15

You just have to see what works and is easy for you.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back