Phosphate testing

JDnKY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gal mixed reef about a year old. I’ve been using GFO kind of blindly off and on for the last several months, I don’t use the GFO unless progress seems to slow down and it has always seemed to help my corals grow better again but I’ve read several horror stories about overuse of GFO so I shut if off when things look better. I have an API test kit and it always reads 0, I guess, pretty hard to tell with this test kit. I just got a Hanna Alk tester a couple of weeks ago and like the ease of use and that it gives a direct DKH reading. I’ve been thinking about getting a Hanna ULR tester but not sure if I should the Phosphate ULR checker or the Phosphorus ULR checker and convert the value to phosphate. The Phosphate ULR checker doesn’t have the rock solid reviews like the Alk checker does so I was wondering what you all thought about the Phosphate and Phosphorus ULR checkers and if one is more accurate than the other?

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphate ulr is the same as the phosphorus, the only difference is the phosphate does the converting for you. I have the phosphorus ppb one and i have to use the chart but I do love it. It makes it simple to test. I really wish they would make a nitrate tester. I can't tell what shade of pink is what half the time.

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The phosphate ulr is the same as the phosphorus, the only difference is the phosphate does the converting for you. I have the phosphorus ppb one and i have to use the chart but I do love it. It makes it simple to test. I really wish they would make a nitrate tester. I can't tell what shade of pink is what half the time.
At least with nitrates you can kinda get a range or an idea. The margin isn't as close considering ppb vs ppm.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the ulr, it's a bit of a pain using the chart but I just printed a copy and keep it in the box with the meter. I chose to use it after doing some research and the video from brs explaining how the ulr meter is more accurate at lower levels than the one that reads in ppb. I tried using the red Sea test kit but found I liked the Hanna checker better. I've had it for nearly a year and haven't had any issues with it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back