Phosphate vs Phosphorus

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy - my Hanna ultra low (and Hanna ref PO4 checkers) always comes in at .12 to .2 ppm PO4. Any icp test I’ve done show phosphorus reported in ppm (not PPB) and show I’m at .02 ppm phosphorus. These don’t jive at all on conversion. I don’t have much algae, but my lps are never thriving. All my other parameters are usually good. Any advice?

230E80AA-D908-4C0D-AEB6-26E5720F0122.png
ICP measurements of P are likely to be wrong ALL the time. The vendors are not being transparent about water sample degradation during transport.

camelon02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but it was what came up when I was doing a search this morning.

I received my test results from ATI Aquaristik yesterday for my 32 gallon Biocube. It showed Phosphate at undetected and Phosphorus at 1561µg/l against a reference of 11.62 µg/l. I thought this seemed pretty crazy and reading here it seems (unless I missed something, which is entirely possible) even more crazy.

Any ideas on this that I should be looking at? My other numbers from the test all made sense based on what I am doing with dosing and other maintenance.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but it was what came up when I was doing a search this morning.

I received my test results from ATI Aquaristik yesterday for my 32 gallon Biocube. It showed Phosphate at undetected and Phosphorus at 1561µg/l against a reference of 11.62 µg/l. I thought this seemed pretty crazy and reading here it seems (unless I missed something, which is entirely possible) even more crazy.

Any ideas on this that I should be looking at? My other numbers from the test all made sense based on what I am doing with dosing and other maintenance.
Must be a typo. Likely the phosphorus one is wrong, unless phosphate might be close to 5 ppm.

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
g and ulr PO4 checkers have different id/sku Numbers. They both read in ppm. I use both and don’t see a big difference in results..... Hanna makes a calibration fluid to check accuracy, but there is no way to calibrate Hanna checkers.

Hmmm. My Hanna Phosphorus ULR says it reads in PPB:
1628883695814.png

--Gray

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1628883695814.png

--Gray

Hanna makes multiple ULR P checkers these days:

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is Phosphate vs Phosporus. I understand "they are the same" or variations on the same thing. I have both.

The PHOSPHATE ULR reads out in PPM, Parts Per Million.
The PHOSPHORUS ULR reads out in PPB, Parts Per Billion.

Apparently there is some formula to correlate one to the other, but frankly all I care about is "is my reading too high?".

So, to that end:
1) WHICH checker would be the preferred one? Seems to me the Phosphorus ULR would, since it's in PPB.
2) For each checker, what is the upper bound reading, PPM or PPB, where one should start to worry?

debees5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1628883695814.png

--Gray
Mine are Phosphate (PO4) ULR and the other is Phosphate (PO4). I do get different readings on them - the ULR reading is generally higher, but they are both ppm. ICP tests report out in Phosphorus (P) ppb, which requires a calculation (1st a multiplier, then change from ppb to ppm). IMO, as long as you know where you want your readings for your tank, it really doesn’t matter if you gauge it with P or PO4.

Last edited:

ReefChasers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally find the phosphorous ULR in PPB to be more accurate than the phosphate ULR PPM so we like to use the phosphorous ULR and just convert the measurement to ppm

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is Phosphate vs Phosporus. I understand "they are the same" or variations on the same thing. I have both.

The PHOSPHATE ULR reads out in PPM, Parts Per Million.
The PHOSPHORUS ULR reads out in PPB, Parts Per Billion.

Apparently there is some formula to correlate one to the other, but frankly all I care about is "is my reading too high?".

So, to that end:
1) WHICH checker would be the preferred one? Seems to me the Phosphorus ULR would, since it's in PPB.
2) For each checker, what is the upper bound reading, PPM or PPB, where one should start to worry?

I'd personally worry more if phosphate was too low, not if it was too high (within reason).

Good target levels (IMO) are 0.01 to 0.1 ppm phosphate (3-33 ppb phosphorus).

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally buy the ULR phosphorus for my phosphate checker. Do you guys know if the readings are the same?
They are not the same. You have to apply a conversion factor to get phosphates. Phosphorous only reads to .6 mg/L +/- 195 ppb, and phosphate 2.5 mg/L I think. Which is 815 ppb+/-.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI but the Hanna low range phosphorus checker is checking for phosphates then converting to the equivalent amount of phosphorus. It's not testing for, or including organic phosphorus in the results given.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I meant the phosphorus reagent instead of the phosphate reagent fir my ULR phosphate checker

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I meant the phosphorus reagent instead of the phosphate reagent fir my ULR phosphate checker
Maybe they would work in a similar way. Both claim ascorbic acid method. However they also maybe are tweaked to work with specific checker. I can't say for sure.

maxwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate checkers read in ppm, not phosphorus (which read in ppb).
I use the above with the table reads 16 but my ICP test always says its no phosphate as its below measuring point . WHO are we supposed to believe ????????

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Phosphorus ULR because it reads the lowest in PPB.

Hanna Phosphate High Range HI717
Range: 0.0 to 30.0 ppm

Hanna Phosphate Low Range HI713
Range: 0.00 to 2.50 ppm

Hanna Phosphate ULR HI774
Range: 0.00 to 0.90 ppm

Hanna Phosphorus ULR HI736
Range: 0 to 200 ppb

I’ve been able to catch when the tank has bottomed out and dose some nutrients to correct.
71429C3B-3C5A-4536-8241-B73DCE356DF6.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back