Phosphates and Nitrates

Douglas Wattier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about 2 months in I can't seem to get my Nitrates below 8 ppm and Phosphates below 0.08 ppm. Im running a sump with a refugium and have chaeto in it. I have a 30 gallon cube, with 45 lbs of rock. I added a mini reactor with GFO and Carbon yesterday. All other parameters are where they should be. Any advice?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im about 2 months in I can't seem to get my Nitrates below 8 ppm and Phosphates below 0.08 ppm. Im running a sump with a refugium and have chaeto in it. I have a 30 gallon cube, with 45 lbs of rock. I added a mini reactor with GFO and Carbon yesterday. All other parameters are where they should be. Any advice?
Can I ask why you want them lower? My advice is to enjoy those levels if they are stable!

PSLReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about chasing numbers, stability is key.

I find corals have better color with nitrates but wouldn't allow them to get over say 20, as for phosphate, it is needed as otherwise your corals will actually suffer.

Your current measurements are great, imo

Fumanchu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is the key and yes those numbers are fine you can tweak them a lil ,I get great results at .04 -.06 po4 and get one of those grow bulbs(40 watt) on Amazon for your fuge you won't regret it

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you get more corals in your tank and your a little further down the experience line you will learn too read your corals instead of chasing numbers ... but first you need a mature tank (1year + imo ) new tanks are so unbalanced in the begin even if your water parameters are good , it still just takes time too mature nothing else ... add things slowly and the tank will stabilize better .. enjoy !!

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • D/C

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • Both

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 10 19.6%
Back