Photo of par?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Christa50
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Christa50

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 24, 2019
Messages
140
Reaction score
258
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone show me with a picture how dark a 100 or 50 par spot in their tank looks like? I have no par sensor. I use an aqua knight over a 13 gallon. At the top it gives 300 par. So I wonder what 100 par or 50 looks like. This is because of a goniopora thnx in advance.
IMG_20200209_163958.jpg
 
Unfortunately, photos or even directly looking at a tank cannot tell you or even estimate PAR values. Best you can do is estimate from like models with same settings (AB+ for example) with the testing results on depth.
 
Agree this is really impossible. Even looking at two tanks in person side by side, it’s difficult to see PAR differences. Add in a camera and it’s just not possible.

You may want to consider joining a local reef club. Many of them have PAR meters that you can borrow.
 
Unfortunately, photos or even directly looking at a tank cannot tell you or even estimate PAR values. Best you can do is estimate from like models with same settings (AB+ for example) with the testing results on depth.
Yeah I have seen a YouTube video of par measurements with this light. 100% gives 300 at the top. 185 in the middle back side and 120 on the bottom centre. However this was done in an empty tank. Just water. I have most of my light in front of the rock work. Because it has 90 degree lenses. And ik only have lps, softies and polyps. The goniopora in question I placed behind the rocks in the back corner
So I assume it would get about 50ish par. This because it would only open at night and during the day it looked like a flat plate
Now its in the darker spot and it's been half open all day.
 
I have a pink Goni and struggled with it could never get it to fully extend and it just slowly died back. Tried it all over the tank and perimeters was all good. I hear the tend to prefer low light and flow.
 
I have a pink Goni and struggled with it could never get it to fully extend and it just slowly died back. Tried it all over the tank and perimeters was all good. I hear the tend to prefer low light and flow.
I have a red one doing not fine but okay. It grew polyps, a lot, but it's stays low. I have a brown one too. But it's been in the tank for over a month now and it's just not opening like it used to. Yesterday I was in my lfs just being amazed by the fully open green and red gonis in every tank. I want to know how!!!
 
goni’s are just one of them coral thrive in some tanks and don’t do so well on others. Opted for and alveopora instead and that’s seem to be doing well so far.
 
goni’s are just one of them coral thrive in some tanks and don’t do so well on others. Opted for and alveopora instead and that’s seem to be doing well so far.
I think the old somewhat dirty tank idea might be true. That lfs has been around for about 40 years now. Their tanks are not surgically clean.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 6.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new