Pickle barrel

Ncreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever used one to put fish in for a move? If so what did you clean with?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be pretty ripe with vinegar smell when you first get em. I pressure washed mine with a little dish soap and then pressure rinsed them for about 20 minutes. I would think they'd be OK for transport at this point. I.e. Short term. I might hesitate a little if you were thinking about anything longer term than just for transport.

OP
OP
N

Ncreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be pretty ripe with vinegar smell when you first get em. I pressure washed mine with a little dish soap and then pressure rinsed them for about 20 minutes. I would think they'd be OK for transport at this point. I.e. Short term. I might hesitate a little if you were thinking about anything longer term than just for transport.
Be about hour ride hour half at most. Little dawn? Think be ok to soak or think it might absorb soap and Lea j back?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd clean it with bleach and then rinse it with tap water a lot, then fill it with saltwater for a few hours. If it still smells of vinegar or bleach, rinse it out some more.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be about hour ride hour half at most. Little dawn? Think be ok to soak or think it might absorb soap and Lea j back?

I used dawn....only think I worried about was the fragrance (which is a product, not just a smell) from the Dawn getting into the plastic.

The only think I was concerned about physically cleaning from the plastic was the oil. (Olives are packed in vinegar and oil and use the same barrel....I have a couple.)

I dunno if you can get detergent without ANY fragrance....even the Dr Bronners has it....but if it existed, then the soak might be more worthy to try. I like the idea. :) I have to say that I had a 7-gallon pickle bucket years ago and nothing but time got the smell out of it....tried everything I could think of. I didn't try so hard on my olive barrels. ;) ;) ;)

Once the surfaces are clean and soap-free, I would not worry about the vinegar smell for a quick transport.

I'm not sure bleaching would help. It won't kill the vinegar smell. It might produce some noxious fumes if it does interact with any significant amount of vinegar (vinegar + bleach is BAD NEWS. Bleach + most organics, in fact.)...like if you tried cleaning it with bleach first instead of just water or soapy water.

Mostly I just wouldn't bleach it because it won't help the smell and we don't need it to be disinfected. :)

OP
OP
N

Ncreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used dawn....only think I worried about was the fragrance (which is a product, not just a smell) from the Dawn getting into the plastic.

The only think I was concerned about physically cleaning from the plastic was the oil. (Olives are packed in vinegar and oil and use the same barrel....I have a couple.)

I dunno if you can get detergent without ANY fragrance....even the Dr Bronners has it....but if it existed, then the soak might be more worthy to try. I like the idea. :) I have to say that I had a 7-gallon pickle bucket years ago and nothing but time got the smell out of it....tried everything I could think of. I didn't try so hard on my olive barrels. ;) ;) ;)

Once the surfaces are clean and soap-free, I would not worry about the vinegar smell for a quick transport.

I'm not sure bleaching would help. It won't kill the vinegar smell. It might produce some noxious fumes if it does interact with any significant amount of vinegar (vinegar + bleach is BAD NEWS. Bleach + most organics, in fact.)...like if you tried cleaning it with bleach first instead of just water or soapy water.

Mostly I just wouldn't bleach it because it won't help the smell and we don't need it to be disinfected. :)
Just picked barrel up. Don't smell vinegar. Smells like cucumber. Probably give it a quick wash and go with it.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 TDS RO/DI water is great for leaching stuff out. sounds funny but I would use distilled white vinegar and scrub it really good then rinse with some 0 tds ro/di then fill with 0 tds ro/di.
test tds of wter after it has sat for some time. then dump out and fii again with 0tds ro/di water if you start getting readings.

Trick is to make sure it is sealed up so no air gets in. the water will pull stuff in from the air or it will land on it.

see if that works

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd clean it with bleach and then rinse it with tap water a lot, then fill it with saltwater for a few hours. If it still smells of vinegar or bleach, rinse it out some more.

I'd add a sodium thiosulfate soak after the bleach before the rinses. Kills bleach completely. You can look here for more information about how much to use
http://www.edspumps.com/water-treatment/documents/Antichlorination.pdf

or use the attached Excel spreadsheet calculator I made.

Attachments

• chlorine_removal_calculator.zip
    10.3 KB · Views: 80

rblair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't put livestock in it but I did use one to transport tank water in when I moved. I rinsed and scrubbed it out with tap water. then filled it with water and baking powder (warehouse stores sell large bags cheap) let it sit for a day then rinsed again and let it dry, then one final rinse before I used it. The smell was gone and I saw no ill effects from using it. My move was just over an hour away, used it for several trips this way.

I was thinking of using it for a holding tank for RO/DI water but have not got that set up yet.

Back