Pico 4g cyano infection

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll watch to see how other methods fare, our method was incomplete here/ability to exchange needed info and details not avail on this thread. we're used to getting multiple before pics during help/ pics of the actual work so we can check for missed steps/and zesty follow up information :) I know that's not always possible.

The lack of pictures documenting any move or after effect over the next coming weeks will hold up the ability to work this tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nano101

Nano101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should retest my tds on my water. Filters are pretty new but worth a check. This issue should have resolved by now, but it’s getting worse. My other tank that uses the same water doesn’t have any cyano

OP
OP
Nano101

Nano101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still 0 TDS RO/DI water. Cyano is everywhere in the tank. EVERYWHERE! I’m treating with chemiclean again. The sandbed has been replaced. The whole tank was taken down, stripped and clean. All my coral is in one chick of live rock, so that is the only part that transferred over. I am lost here

OP
OP
Nano101

Nano101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s been a month. Water changes every 2-4 days. Haven’t fed the tank. Replaced sand bed. That helped for a week. Have confirmed multiple times 0 TDS RO water. Chemiclean every 3 days. My chaeto won’t grow because the cyano absorbs nutrients faster. I have had the same light settings for 7 months. I blackout won’t kill the source. I must have nutrients leeching out of my life rock. Problem is live rock has coral attached everywhere I’ve thought about a pico skimmer, but seems silly. IDK!

OP
OP
Nano101

Nano101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little frustrated there is no traction on this thread.

Yesterday, I tore down the tank again. I took everything out. Rinsed sand. Emptied tank. Rinsed sand. Added a small hydro powerhead. Put everything back together. Less than 12 hours later I can see small white strings clinging to the glass. I’m still using chemiclean, but started using Red Sea NO3:pO4-X as I’m now convinced that my live rock is leeching nitrates, though all my levels are 0

What I’m considering:

A. Complete tear down. Soak and run tank in vinegar for a week. Then all new sand, live rock, coral, and adding a reef glass nano skimmer.

B. Get rid of the tank. Buy a 10 gallon Nuvo with ghost skimmer and add in my Kessil A80 and autoaqua ato that are presently on the 4g IM pico.

Or, get a 45-70g Red Sea tank and just keep my 12g nano that is doing well?

All parameters in check. I use salifert tests and I have a milwaukee TDS meter for my RO water. I believe no nitrates are showing up because the live rock as absorbed them.

Pork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a little frustrated there is no traction on this thread.

Yesterday, I tore down the tank again. I took everything out. Rinsed sand. Emptied tank. Rinsed sand. Added a small hydro powerhead. Put everything back together. Less than 12 hours later I can see small white strings clinging to the glass. I’m still using chemiclean, but started using Red Sea NO3:pO4-X as I’m now convinced that my live rock is leeching nitrates, though all my levels are 0

What I’m considering:

A. Complete tear down. Soak and run tank in vinegar for a week. Then all new sand, live rock, coral, and adding a reef glass nano skimmer.

B. Get rid of the tank. Buy a 10 gallon Nuvo with ghost skimmer and add in my Kessil A80 and autoaqua ato that are presently on the 4g IM pico.

Or, get a 45-70g Red Sea tank and just keep my 12g nano that is doing well?

All parameters in check. I use salifert tests and I have a milwaukee TDS meter for my RO water. I believe no nitrates are showing up because the live rock as absorbed them.

O0j

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back