##### Picture Entry: BC BLOOD BANK GROW-OUT CONTEST #####

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Boosterman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boosterman's September 2022 Blood Bank Submission
Blood Bank September 2022.JPG

@lynn.reef.nerd
@BranchingHammer
@Reefing102

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm disregard those unsightly bubbles and algae peeking out. They shall be covered by the next photo I bet!

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No measurement pic since I already posted my September entry, but here's an update.

The tank was looking good and then 2 acros RTN'd out of nowhere about 5 days ago. I was doing daily tests of alk, nitrate, and phosphate for a month before backing up to every 2-3 days, and still things didn't look good. I had no reason that I could find, or so I thought. The Blood Bank is fine for the most part, but it is pale and it lost a little tissue at the bottom. I think it was too high of light and too high of overall system flow. I decreased both and placed the corals a little lower. Measured par at 200-225 where it's at now, so I'm hoping that allows it to recover and catch its stride. The corals stopped degrading after I took those steps.

I also got my order of @AquaBiomics Reef Rubble today, so I'm excited for that to do its thing. Not sure if it actually provides a benefit to an older tank (2 years), but it's only $50. I'm willing to spend that money to test it out. This tank is a barebottom tank that I used dry rock to start. I'm hoping it helps establish a more natural microbiome and see what it does to coral growth/disease, if anything.

On another note, I love the Apex. First time setting it up and I love being able to monitor pH constantly. It's one of the main reasons I have it hooked up. Below is a pic taken about an hour ago. The CO2 scrubber works and works well. I was getting low 8.0's as a peak before installing it, and this is now the highest I've seen it.

20220928_174342.jpg

acananoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No measurement pic since I already posted my September entry, but here's an update.

The tank was looking good and then 2 acros RTN'd out of nowhere about 5 days ago. I was doing daily tests of alk, nitrate, and phosphate for a month before backing up to every 2-3 days, and still things didn't look good. I had no reason that I could find, or so I thought. The Blood Bank is fine for the most part, but it is pale and it lost a little tissue at the bottom. I think it was too high of light and too high of overall system flow. I decreased both and placed the corals a little lower. Measured par at 200-225 where it's at now, so I'm hoping that allows it to recover and catch its stride. The corals stopped degrading after I took those steps.

I also got my order of @AquaBiomics Reef Rubble today, so I'm excited for that to do its thing. Not sure if it actually provides a benefit to an older tank (2 years), but it's only $50. I'm willing to spend that money to test it out. This tank is a barebottom tank that I used dry rock to start. I'm hoping it helps establish a more natural microbiome and see what it does to coral growth/disease, if anything.

On another note, I love the Apex. First time setting it up and I love being able to monitor pH constantly. It's one of the main reasons I have it hooked up. Below is a pic taken about an hour ago. The CO2 scrubber works and works well. I was getting low 8.0's as a peak before installing it, and this is now the highest I've seen it.

20220928_174342.jpg
I'm tempted to run some kind of real time monitoring on my tanks but I would probably perpetually fiddle with things and cause more harm than good :p

zbryant91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lynn.reef.nerd can you confirm when our next photo needs to be uploaded by? you counted our entry photos as September correct, so now we just need to have an October photo in by the end of October?

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Really nice to see so many of your frags colors rebounding so quickly! This one has honestly never been a real tough one for me to get colored up and keep colored up. One of the reasons I though it would be great for a contest actually. The bank is refreshingly forgiving in this department.

Hopefully all of you will have the same kind of luck. So far I'm pretty impressed with what I've seen. Keep up the good work gang!

OP
OP
lynn.reef.nerd

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
@lynn.reef.nerd can you confirm when our next photo needs to be uploaded by? you counted our entry photos as September correct, so now we just need to have an October photo in by the end of October?
HI! All the folks listed are good for go for september.

For october, just need to have a pic in by end of october to count.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back