##### Picture Entry: BC BLOOD BANK GROW-OUT CONTEST #####

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It's looking rough, but this is actually better than what it was when this first happened.
After I dropped mine and chipped some skin off a branch I was hoping it didn't spread...appears to be ok. A year is a long time to go without losing things. No matter how well my tank does I'm always paranoid it will just crash one day. Godspeed to us all!

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since frags are still being sent out when is the contests final day? I have to wait a month and a half after my 365 days? Is It 365 days from when the last frag is received, maybe the information is out there, I need to track down the rules again.........

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since frags are still being sent out when is the contests final day? I have to wait a month and a half after my 365 days? Is It 365 days from when the last frag is received, maybe the information is out there, I need to track down the rules again.........
A reminder of the rules:
1) Competition will last for 1 year (365 days from when you receive your piece)
2) The 1st month submission must be within 3 days of receiving your frag.
3) The last submission must be 365 days from receiving your frag or sooner. NOT later
Rules state it is 365 days from when you receive your frag. I believe the intention was to get all the frags out around the same time. But due to drop outs and people not ordering, there were some late entries.

I would suggest for future grow outs for it to be 365 days + 2 or 3 weeks from when Adam actually cuts the frags.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rules state it is 365 days from when you receive your frag. I believe the intention was to get all the frags out around the same time. But due to drop outs and people not ordering, there were some late entries.

I would suggest for future grow outs for it to be 365 days + 2 or 3 weeks from when Adam actually cuts the frags.
Yeah but, Adam let's them heal first. I think they got it right. 365 from when you receive. The measurement of the first to the last picture I believe is what they are looking at. It's all fair in the same time frame.
I'm sure Lynn will explain better.

acananoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay. I figure I might as well share a pic of my frag. Not everyone's frag can look great. This isn't my October entry. I still have 28 more days for that :cool:. It will make the comeback story that much better. The frag took a dive this last week and a half. I was noticing diminishing colors and then burnt tips and necrosis at the base. I suspected too high of light and flow, so I turned down both, whipped out the trusty par meter, and adjusted the height of the lights and intensity to where the tank varies from 200-300 par in the middle to top of the tank. All of the corals are looking better now. Some people may be able to run their systems with crazy high par, but my tank seems to like lower(ish) par. I may wind up clipping the tips eventually if they don't recover, but I'm gonna let it settle in, color up a bit more, and encrust before I even think of that.

20221003_175348.jpg
O_O oh no

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 365 days from receiving the frag is perfect honestly. with posting against a ruler showing tracked progress.. really if someone start 2-3 weeks or a month apart its easy to show progress.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Oregon Grown Reef

have you done an ICP to see where your iodine level is? commonly associated with burnt tips
No. I would be hard pressed to think it's low since I'm consistent with water changes, but it very well could be. I've got one or 2 laying around somewhere. Maybe I should send one in...

OP
OP
lynn.reef.nerd

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hello! Sorry for the late reply. I sometimes don't have internet at work.

I was hoping we were able to be as close together as possible for end date but with the previous stated situation, we are a little over a month from the first person (I think that is me) and the last person. Which is fine we just have to make sure we track that everyone takes their last pic 365 days from the date received (around one year from the first picture). The newly added folks will have their first picture in the October section and last picture beginning of Oct 2023.

Adam will pick three Winners by MID OCTOBER 2023 and voting can begin.

Please let me know if this is an issue for anyone.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was hoping we were able to be as close together as possible for end date but with the previous stated situation, we are a little over a month from the first person (I think that is me) and the last person. Which is fine we just have to make sure we track that everyone takes their last pic 365 days from the date received (around one year from the first picture). The newly added folks will have their first picture in the October section and last picture beginning of Oct 2023.

I have no problem with anyone being added to the competition. I would hope that everyone else here has no problem as well. The way I view these competitions isn't so much "Can I grow coral faster than everybody" or "My tank is the nicest tank I've seen", but it's more along the lines of challenging myself, seeing how far I can push myself, and reaping the benefits of hard work. The banter along the way is just fun. If someone beats me (as if), then I'll be happy for them and you know everyone is going to be looking at that person's build thread to see what they need to do to copy the results.

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would. High Iodine causes burnt tips.
Thanks for the suggestion. I loaded up the vials and sent them off. I've been curious to see what the most recent results are, but your comments pushed me over the edge. I'll update this thread with the results to see what everyone says. With the progress pics that I'm seeing here, I trust the advice of the people here to be able to guide me in the right direction. I'm nearly 5 years into the hobby and the thing I learn each day is how little I knew the day prior.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion. I loaded up the vials and sent them off. I've been curious to see what the most recent results are, but your comments pushed me over the edge. I'll update this thread with the results to see what everyone says. With the progress pics that I'm seeing here, I trust the advice of the people here to be able to guide me in the right direction. I'm nearly 5 years into the hobby and the thing I learn each day is how little I knew the day prior.
Yes

acananoreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No issues here, the more the better! I think for future events it's probably best to have a hard cut-off date with the initial rules for clarity. Appreciate everyone making this happen.

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the sake of getting my submission in. My frag arrived today after an unfortunate 48 hours in transit due to “Mechanical Delays” with UPS. Frag is really upset and had a good amount of zoox die off and created cloudy water. I’m hoping for a strong bounce back and be a Real contender here! What would a grow out contest be with out a good challenge

First Submission:

7D306145-BB83-44D7-B044-4689019898AA.jpeg

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the sake of getting my submission in. My frag arrived today after an unfortunate 48 hours in transit due to “Mechanical Delays” with UPS. Frag is really upset and had a good amount of zoox die off and created cloudy water. I’m hoping for a strong bounce back and be a Real contender here! What would a grow out contest be with out a good challenge

First Submission:

7D306145-BB83-44D7-B044-4689019898AA.jpeg
Hope it pulls through...looking rough

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope it pulls through...looking rough
Yea. Def loooking rough, but I’m hopeful as it was the lastttt frag. It will be a fairy tail story if it bounces back.

still have fluorescence.. so that reef moonshine might do the magic

BEF2D85F-C382-4B06-A011-9B5254CA2F7C.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back