Spring grow out contest ??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
no insta clip sir. :)
weird I can see it here. no idea

anyone else not seeing it?

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 9.21.22 AM.png

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a couple other really fast growing tables that would probably be a better choice. Especially one I haven't shot yet, but have sent out many frags of! been calling it the "honeybee table". here's an older IG post version for reference. this colony is easily double, maybe triple in size since I took this vid

I like that one too!

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there,

absolutely guys! and yeah I think we be wise to go with a super hardy old schooler. A classic digi or Stylo even, or something like the slimer or acroberry, Poletti yellow tip would be perfect. honestly I think we'd see everyone make it to the finish line at least.

I still feel terrible about the laser and ghost contest. I think we over shot it and went too big. Too may frags I had to cut unfortunately and things just didn't do well for you guys.

So, we may have to scale things back a little or even a few smaller contests. I'm remembering the shag priority/bliss contest that went really well a few years back. I think we had 20 contestants each. and probably 95% went all the way. or maybe even shorten the span to like 9 months or something? honestly I'm open to any and all input on how w can do better on the next one.

I think the key is that you guys start off with healthy chunky well encrusted frags all of nearly exactly equal size and girth. and that is almost impossible with 70+ frags off the same colony.

what do you guys think?
Stylos and Digis? I’m in!
IMG_0211.jpeg

OP
OP
Jasonak

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weird I can see it here. no idea

anyone else not seeing it?

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 9.21.22 AM.png
I think a table would be way cool!
I got as a freebie back in the day,,,13 years ago maybe ,,What I remembered was Palleta Yellow tip,, (i had forgotten over the years) it remained a blob about the size of a matchbook this whole time moved to three different tanks. The last original piece I got from you. I managed to kill off everything else. About this time last year I got my tank really dialed in and it took off !!!! I did not realize till the fall 2023 growout contest when I got a frag of BC Efflo that it was BC Efflo and not Palleta yellow tip, Its about 5 inch diameter now :)

Last edited:

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Stylos and Digis? I’m in!
IMG_0211.jpeg
Totally. I’ve been pushing for the rainbow stylo and various digits for years! Superfast, growing an indestructible, I mean, just seems like a no-brainer to me:) Honestly, we should probably have a couple different contest, different teirs
of tact or hardiness. This is something we should probably discuss and focus a little bit more on.

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally. I’ve been pushing for the rainbow stylo and various digits for years! Superfast, growing an indestructible, I mean, just seems like a no-brainer to me:) Honestly, we should probably have a couple different contest, different teirs
of tact or hardiness. This is something we should probably discuss and focus a little bit more on.
I'd be in on the noob end of things

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the interest of several smaller contests, perhaps divide by skill set? A group for reefers new to acros, not my first rodeos and old salts? Make the selections by level of difficulty? Just thinking out loud. It might make a more level playing ground for the small groups?

OP
OP
Jasonak

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be in on the noob end of things
Ive had a saltwater tank steady for 30 years been reefing for 20... and still learn new stuff weekly if not daily. Your always going to be a noob your in good company :)

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less “noobish” a few recent purchases from a small Battlebox purchase and a Reverse Mothership frag. Noticeable growth on that one since I posted its pic during the AI image hunt.
IMG_0490.jpeg
IMG_0339.jpeg
IMG_0492.jpeg
IMG_0358.jpeg
IMG_0470.jpeg

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In the interest of several smaller contests, perhaps divide by skill set? A group for reefers new to acros, not my first rodeos and old salts? Make the selections by level of difficulty? Just thinking out loud. It might make a more level playing ground for the small groups?
yes. I think we should definitely. discuss going this route. My ultimate vision for these contests has alway been literal colonies at the end, not encrusted bases with.a few bumps protruding and proper coral selection is the key to this. I have no doubt faster vigorous growth will be so much more engaging to watch and participate in as well for that matter.

the compromise will have to be corals that do this, as opposed to hot designer "sps of the month type" stuff.

can we save a contest for higher end delicate stuff? absolutely, but I really think the focus should be on the most forgiving coral we can come up with:). for the larger contests at least. so everyone involved has something to show off at the end.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m down with doing tiered contests. I should be able to handle that no problem.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m down with doing tiered contests. I should be able to handle that no problem.
that would be amazing. I think we'll still keep individual contest contestants down to maybe 20-30 tops as well. if there's interest

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back