Pink spot goby stole firefish's cave

AngryMike2016

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 15, 2018
Messages
938
Reaction score
1,651
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks,

Having a fish behavior issue in my 90 gallon tank. Lots of rock work.

Ever since I added my pink spotted goby four months ago, he has lived in the same cave and doesn't move much from it other than to eat at feeding time.

About two weeks ago, I added a purple firefish. He picked out a cave pretty quickly.

A day or two later, the pink spotted goby decided that he would move into the firefish's cave. Fortunately the firefish can swim far enough into the rock work that the goby can't attack him. This has resulted in the firefish only being able to come out to eat, as the pink spot will swim around at feeding time.

Any advice on encouraging the pink spot to move back to his old cave?
 
Hi folks,

Having a fish behavior issue in my 90 gallon tank. Lots of rock work.

Ever since I added my pink spotted goby four months ago, he has lived in the same cave and doesn't move much from it other than to eat at feeding time.

About two weeks ago, I added a purple firefish. He picked out a cave pretty quickly.

A day or two later, the pink spotted goby decided that he would move into the firefish's cave. Fortunately the firefish can swim far enough into the rock work that the goby can't attack him. This has resulted in the firefish only being able to come out to eat, as the pink spot will swim around at feeding time.

Any advice on encouraging the pink spot to move back to his old cave?
not much we can do to force a fish to move place without risking causing more harm than good. you could try removing it and putting it in a qt tank or something for a few days then re introducing it but I'm not sure how much that would help
 
Add more targets to distract the watchman. A group of scissortail and/or zebra dartfish behave similarly to the firefish and are peaceful, so may take more of the watchman's attention.
 
I picked up a pistol shrimp at the LFS last night, and I placed him near/in the pink spot's old cave (the one I want him to go back to). The pink spot found the shrimp almost immediately, swam back to his old cave, and they appear to be making friends already.

The purple firefish was out swimming around near his cave for about half an hour today before calmly going back in.

It's only been a day so far, but hopefully this keeps up.
 
I picked up a pistol shrimp at the LFS last night, and I placed him near/in the pink spot's old cave (the one I want him to go back to). The pink spot found the shrimp almost immediately, swam back to his old cave, and they appear to be making friends already.

The purple firefish was out swimming around near his cave for about half an hour today before calmly going back in.

It's only been a day so far, but hopefully this keeps up.
good idea well done! goodluck
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 2 6.1%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 3.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new