Pistol shrimp molted while acclimating

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a new tiger pistol shrimp today to replace the one I lost recently (my goby has been all out of sorts).

I got the shrimp in the mail from vivid aquarium. It arrived this morning (about 14 hours in the bag). While I was acclimating, the shrimp molted. I know that inverts sometimes molt due to stress, but I also know that they are also weak and vulnerable after molting.

My goby went right to him after I put him in and is watching out over him, but the shrimp isn't doing much. It's alive because I can see it moving. Is this to be expected? Is it not digging because it is weak?

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is still hanging in there. Made a small burrow for himself last night. The goby tried going in, but there was not enough room. Heartbreaking!

The goby is staying right by his side, it's pretty sweet.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you acclimating your shrimp? And yeah they molt regardless of stress went entering a new environment with different water params. Sorry for you losses. I bet your goby is bummed out too

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you acclimating your shrimp? And yeah they molt regardless of stress went entering a new environment with different water params. Sorry for you losses. I bet your goby is bummed out too
Drip acclimation in a bucket. I've had them molt in the tank, then I don't see them for like 4 days while they heal.

This one never seemed "right." He was very lethargic in acclimation and after I put him in.

My LFS had one in stock (only open 2 days a week) so I went and bought that one (I'm on vacation this week). I acclimated that one (really feisty) and put him in. He immediately swam to the bottom and has been digging ever since, as expected.

The goby hasn't found him yet.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I'm not sure then. usually people have problems with the molt getting stuck and the shrimp dying but idk what to say about it being lethargic. Maybe the goby is bothering it and stressing it out?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back