Pistol shrimp moving sand (looking for solution)

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
worth a try, as you say a couple will be better than just one as they do like to move around, you could also add some small stones etc as they like to use those for tunnel making, might slow the moving around down a little if they have bricks to work with, all that effort moving stones, they won’t want to move again…hopefully.
Stones are a great idea. I have some pea gravel that I used in my freshwater tank. Is that the type of stone you are referring to or smaller reef rock rubble pieces?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stones are a great idea. I have some pea gravel that I used in my freshwater tank. Is that the type of stone you are referring to or smaller reef rock rubble pieces?
They aren’t picky. Shells, reef rubble, gravel, coral, hermit crabs, you name it and it’s an option.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little f’er not only moves all of the sand and never stops, but he grabs my coral plugs from my sand bed and drag them into his caves. I love it!! Pain in the tush but by far my favorite tank addition.

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little f’er not only moves all of the sand and never stops, but he grabs my coral plugs from my sand bed and drag them into his caves. I love it!! Pain in the tush but by far my favorite tank addition.
mine too. and/or he buries them, and/or they fall in. Every morning I wake up and have to rescue my corals from the sand storm, and most evenings I do the same.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

anything will do, as long as it is reef safe and looks natural so you don’t mind looking at all this stuff in the tank, I’m sure the shrimp will use it.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anything will do, as long as it is reef safe and looks natural so you don’t mind looking at all this stuff in the tank, I’m sure the shrimp will use it.
Thanks for the suggestions! Apparently the new home on its own is not enough for shrimpy. He needs the accessories and extra furnishings to go with it. Spoiled shrimp!! :)

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will only drag extra Xenia under. But has no problem burying rocks and plugs. He buried my chalice and killed it… and always knocks things over.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine will only drag extra Xenia under. But has no problem burying rocks and plugs. He buried my chalice and killed it… and always knocks things over.
OMG, what a little devil yours is! Sorry for the loss of your chalice. :-( That's a bummer! Fortunately I haven't added coral yet so I'm able to see the trouble spots in advance. I bought this cool rock that is low with a lot of flat areas and a couple humps on it. I thought it would be perfect for coral. Big mistake... Apparently he thought it was cool too so he told his goby buddy to pack their bags because they were moving to new digs. They abandoned the old rock within an hour of the new rock going in and now it's almost completely buried in sand. About all I can see are the two humps. I keep brushing the sand off the rock and by morning it's back again. :-S

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG, what a little devil yours is! Sorry for the loss of your chalice. :-( That's a bummer! Fortunately I haven't added coral yet so I'm able to see the trouble spots in advance. I bought this cool rock that is low with a lot of flat areas and a couple humps on it. I thought it would be perfect for coral. Big mistake... Apparently he thought it was cool too so he told his goby buddy to pack their bags because they were moving to new digs. They abandoned the old rock within an hour of the new rock going in and now it's almost completely buried in sand. About all I can see are the two humps. I keep brushing the sand off the rock and by morning it's back again. :-S
Chalice is partially my fault. I should have unburied it sooner, and I had a bjd out rest at the same time so…
My best advice is to glue everything down onto large rocks or rubble. If it’s small and on the sandbed, it’s vulnerable.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few ways to do it. I made a barnacle cave for my goby a few years back, similar to this thing. Although, you need to drill holes in it to allow water flow through the structure, otherwise it goes anoxic from the stagnant water.
image.jpeg

This person, @sarah007 had a really awesome build idea.

image1.JPG
image4.JPG

Its all in how you want it to look.
Dan-Post2-Img4.jpg

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few ways to do it. I made a barnacle cave for my goby a few years back, similar to this thing. Although, you need to drill holes in it to allow water flow through the structure, otherwise it goes anoxic from the stagnant water.
image.jpeg

This person, @sarah007 had a really awesome build idea.

image1.JPG
image4.JPG

Its all in how you want it to look.
Dan-Post2-Img4.jpg
Wow, these are all amazing but the designs that allow you to see them are quite brilliant! They remind me of those glass ant colonies you can buy (or make). :) Thanks for these suggestions!

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m lucky, I have a rock against the glass that he lives under, so I can see him a lot:
420D10A4-F6DD-4EE8-BB0E-324ED4B191D2.jpeg
That is amazing and I would agree that you got lucky!! LOL. I should try moving the rock he vacated closer to the glass in case he decides to move back or another inhabitant takes it over. This is cool! Thanks for sharing this.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back