Pistol shrimp reef safe?

Opticat

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 4, 2021
Messages
43
Reaction score
5
Location
Philippines
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are pistol shrimps actually safe for other livestock in the tank? Was supposed to buy a goby and pistol pair but went with a goby only since I read some that it killed their snails and shrimps. Now I'm actually planning to get one for the watchman goby. currently have 2 clownfish, 3 Nasarius, and 2 turbo snails.
 
Are pistol shrimps actually safe for other livestock in the tank? Was supposed to buy a goby and pistol pair but went with a goby only since I read some that it killed their snails and shrimps. Now I'm actually planning to get one for the watchman goby. currently have 2 clownfish, 3 Nasarius, and 2 turbo snails.
I highly doubt a pistol will touch anything outside its burrow since it almost never leaves there.
 
I've heard/read that they could potentially harm other inverts but I've never seen it. I've had one for almost three years and the only thing I have to worry about with him is moving/burying coral frags if they're on the sandbed.
 
There safe providing none of your inverts enter it's burrow, although I have nt seen it attack anything I do have empty hermit shells around it's burrow.

The other thing to consider is your rock, is it set on the glass bottom or the substrate. The pistol shrimp is a prolific digger and can quite easily de stabilize your rock Scape if set on your substrate
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 35.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.1%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new