Pistol shrimp reef safe?

Opticat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are pistol shrimps actually safe for other livestock in the tank? Was supposed to buy a goby and pistol pair but went with a goby only since I read some that it killed their snails and shrimps. Now I'm actually planning to get one for the watchman goby. currently have 2 clownfish, 3 Nasarius, and 2 turbo snails.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are pistol shrimps actually safe for other livestock in the tank? Was supposed to buy a goby and pistol pair but went with a goby only since I read some that it killed their snails and shrimps. Now I'm actually planning to get one for the watchman goby. currently have 2 clownfish, 3 Nasarius, and 2 turbo snails.
I highly doubt a pistol will touch anything outside its burrow since it almost never leaves there.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard/read that they could potentially harm other inverts but I've never seen it. I've had one for almost three years and the only thing I have to worry about with him is moving/burying coral frags if they're on the sandbed.

Twoddler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There safe providing none of your inverts enter it's burrow, although I have nt seen it attack anything I do have empty hermit shells around it's burrow.

The other thing to consider is your rock, is it set on the glass bottom or the substrate. The pistol shrimp is a prolific digger and can quite easily de stabilize your rock Scape if set on your substrate

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 55 53.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.8%
Back