Pistol shrimps with no fish??

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So out of nowhere my watchman goby passed away.
Question is, I have the pistol shrimp he was paired with now without a fish. I also have a new pistol shrimp so 2 in my 90 gallon tank and no fish paired with them.
Is is best to get them fish to pair with?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So out of nowhere my watchman goby passed away.
Question is, I have the pistol shrimp he was paired with now without a fish. I also have a new pistol shrimp so 2 in my 90 gallon tank and no fish paired with them.
Is is best to get them fish to pair with?
They should be fine without, but it absolutely would be best to get them companions if you can.
Do they get along?

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are best fish to get for the two?
I assume you have the red stripe pistols(randalls), correct?
If so, there are a wide variety of gobies that will pair: White ray, hi-fin red banded, wheelers, randalls, orange-stripe prawn, pink bar.... Almost any of the shrimp gobies should pair up successfully.
I have a bonded pair of hi-fin red banded gobies with my red stripe pistol.

Maggie321

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my tangaroa goby. His pistol buddy disappeared and I recently got him a new pistol. The tangaroa stays pretty small

OP
OP
MCooper

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you have the red stripe pistols(randalls), correct?
If so, there are a wide variety of gobies that will pair: White ray, hi-fin red banded, wheelers, randalls, orange-stripe prawn, pink bar.... Almost any of the shrimp gobies should pair up successfully.
I have a bonded pair of hi-fin red banded gobies with my red stripe pistol.

yes, 1 is. The other is a Japanese snapping shrimp

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pistol shrimp and a yellow watchman goby .. both live at separate ends of my 90g , is there a way I can get them together ??

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pistol shrimp and a yellow watchman goby .. both live at separate ends of my 90g , is there a way I can get them together ??
If possible, you should pull them out of the tank and then reintroduce them in the same bag/container.
How long have they been in the tank?

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story I got a pistol shrimp and watchman goby last month. They were not paired when I got them. Put them in my 130g DT and saw them once and heard the pistol once..my cleaner wrasse loves to check out new arrivals! I have about 100 pounds of rock in the tank and tried to find them over the last month and just can't find them anywhere.
Well the other morning while the Neptune lunar lights are running I see something swimming near the top of the tank and see it is the long lost pistol shrimp! Main lights came on and I lost him again. Couple days later after full moon what do I see swimming at the top of the tank but the watchmen goby!!! I dont know where those two are hiding but they are alive. I wish I could find them because I would like to know if they are paired and really want to watch them!!!!

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pistol shrimp 2 months or so goby 1 month or so
I introduced mine on the same day in different containers. They went to opposite ends of the tank and didn't find each other for 3 weeks.
I know its probably a giant PITA to fish them out, but that really would be the best/fastest way. Only other option is patience, which we all know is terrible.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny story I got a pistol shrimp and watchman goby last month. They were not paired when I got them. Put them in my 130g DT and saw them once and heard the pistol once..my cleaner wrasse loves to check out new arrivals! I have about 100 pounds of rock in the tank and tried to find them over the last month and just can't find them anywhere.
Well the other morning while the Neptune lunar lights are running I see something swimming near the top of the tank and see it is the long lost pistol shrimp! Main lights came on and I lost him again. Couple days later after full moon what do I see swimming at the top of the tank but the watchmen goby!!! I dont know where those two are hiding but they are alive. I wish I could find them because I would like to know if they are paired and really want to watch them!!!!
One of the most fascinating relationships in the hobby for sure.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other is a Japanese snapping shrimp
I got Japanese Pistol Shrimp Before, it doesn't pair with any gobies. I tried randall and watchman goby but none of the goby want to go near the JP pistol shrimp, and the JP pistol really aggressive to anything go near it, it will shoot everyone out of it way.

TroyHoot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Randalls goby and Randalls shrimp took months to finally stay together. I added them at basically the same time. They stayed on opposite ends of the tank. Were together for about a week. Then apart for a few months. Now they stay together for last few months. Always working and watching together.

I would add a replacement goby if mine died. They will eventually find each other and pair up. Just may take time.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back