PLA Is it reef safe? Yes it is apparently.

fr3n0z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reading few post where PLA is not encouraged because tought not to be "reef safe", i would like to point this article... https://www.degruyter.com/document/...revealed that PLA,no degradation in the ocean. where it reports some case studies (with reference) that states that pla it does not decompose in sea water (or water in general).

Is a bit of a misconception since PLA is normally seen as biodegradable, but the process of degrading PLA requires high"ish" temperature (over 50°C) bacteria and others process. Google can explain it if someone want to look at it.

Especially for newbie, PLA is the MUST starting filament. If you want to start with ABS, you most likely will encounter problem from the beginning and must keep in mind that ABS should be printed in a enclosed case for ease of print and also for not to breath the cancerogenic fumes that release when eated.

For me, i go all PLA (and TPU if needed), is not saltwater but i have PLA impression in my freshwater for 3+ year and they not show any problem, nor the fish or inverts.

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I've 3d printed for my reef tank is made with PLA... but I've had no issues with it

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have my media shelf in my nano made out of PLA but PETG for everything since then. Never had an issue but its hard to do cause and effect in reefs anyways

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 58 39.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 28.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back