Planning ahead for bad weather

micahsoft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I am starting a new Biocube 32 reef tank, but I live in Maine and often experience power outages. These often last 2-3 days and every few years we get some that last a week or more. Last year I lost power for 7 days, had it back for 1 and lost it again for another 2 days due to bad snow and ice storms. I put in a generator this summer, but I won’t be able to run it 24/7 during extended power outages like that.
What should I get to keep my reef happy and healthy during long power outages?
My guess is a UPS of some sort, but is there a specific brand/size people would recommend? Or is it more advisable to try and build my own? What equipment should I have it power to keep them as safe as possible? Thanks for any help/advice you can give me.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Why can't you run the genny 24/7? I have a whole home genny that has run 4 days straight before without 0 issue.

Before that I had a portable that ran for a week and a half straight during an ice storm a few years back. Just keep gas in the thing and it will run till it runs out of fuel.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
UPS will not work for extended power outages. They are meant for short outages or to prevent the internet from disconnecting when the power flickers.

The only thing I know of that can run for days to a week is a gas generator. Car converter can be used in a pinch for some life support.

You can make a battery backup to get the pump running for a few days but a heater during winter will drain it much quicker.

Upvote 0
OP
micahsoft

micahsoft

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I typically still have to work during power outages so I’m gone for a while and can’t keep the generator fueled up. (It’s not very big and has limited capacity) I figured some sort of UPS could run the necessary things when it’s shut down and recharge when I’m able to monitor the generator. I’m especially worried about heat since it’s a smaller tank and my house tends to get cooler. I figure being able to run things for about up to 9 or 10 hours would be all it would take. Usually either my wife or I would be able to take care of things by that time. Plus if I’m not home when the power goes out I wouldn’t have to rush home to get the generator going. (I am often 2-3 hours away when working and have to keep to a schedule)

Upvote 0

Tamberav

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I don’t believe an 8 hour UPS is really a thing. Maybe some sort of DIY battery back up or a UPS DIY to a better battery.

Heaters will drain it way faster then flow. Flow will be easy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
QT FISH