Planning my new reef...

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Joined
Dec 5, 2009
Messages
2,873
Reaction score
343
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need overflow help!

Currently running a 40g but discovered a crack in my stand. :sad:

I figured this would be the perfect time to upgrade my glass and well, everything else.

Here's what I'm planning:

24" x 18" x 20" Lee-Mar Aquarium
Rimless
Starphire on 3 Viewable Sides
External Rear Overflow w/ 1" Drain
3/4" Return​

32" Tall Custom Stand

24" Current USA Outer Orbit Fixture (1x150W HQI Metal Halide & 2X65W Compact Fluorescents)

Vortech MP20

Cadlights 12g Sump / Refuge

Bubble-Magus Mini Protein Skimmer

ReefKeeper Lite w/ SL2 (pH, Salinity, temp, ATO)


Still about a month out since it'll take about that long to get the tank from Lee-Mar, but thankfully I've got everything except the tank/stand, sump and skimmer.

What do you guys think? Any comments on the Bubble-Magus Mini skimmer from cadlights?
 
Last edited:
So I went to place my order today and my retailer told me Lee-Mar no longer builds external overflows after I've asked at least 3 times. He said his rep wasn't aware but whatever.

So my next option is to go with an internal horizontal overflow.

I'm thinking an 8-10" overflow with 3 1/2" holes drilled in the back, 2 for overflow and 1 for return. What do you guys think? Should I go 3/4" for return? Open to suggestions and would love to see some pics of any internal horizontal overflows.

Thanks.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new