Plate coral detaching from skeleton

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this plate coral for close to 4 months and its eating fine even now but i noticed for the past 2 weeks its been detaching from one side of the skeleton. Is this a bailout or do plates do that? It came glued to a frag plug. I have it on the shade and low flow since even on the sand the PAR is over 200.

20210912_190313.jpg 20210912_185847.jpg 20210912_185843.jpg 20210912_185855.jpg 20210912_185858.jpg

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much flow? Doesn't look by eye bacterial.
I have it in a little shaded area away from any direct flow. I have never owned a fungia coral previously so i dont know if this is normal. It still eats when i feed but everyday it detaches more from the skeleton.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe bail out then I don't know never had that happen. It looks like it is peeling off though. Smaller frags need less flow. I guess either is a possibility.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe bail out then I don't know never had that happen. It looks like it is peeling off though. Smaller frags need less flow. I guess either is a possibility.
Would it be a good idea to remove it from the frag plug and place in the sand?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is their normal transition from baby to adulthood. Tiny babies grow on their mothers skeleton, break off and float away, and become their own animal

Keep the skeleton though, a new baby might appear

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least it looks that way on my phone, it's detaching from the skeleton below and not the skeleton inside, right?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a plate coral because I've always read that they can move themselves, which is something that I don't want. So I'm not sure how it can be "glued" down when its supposed to be able to move itself. Maybe it's trying to unglue itself?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a plate coral because I've always read that they can move themselves, which is something that I don't want. So I'm not sure how it can be "glued" down when its supposed to be able to move itself. Maybe it's trying to unglue itself?
They start their life attached to a skeleton stalk protruding from their mother, a bit like Caulastrea. But then they detach and float away in order to lie flat on the ground somewhere else and spread their genes.

Now it kinda depends whether someone glued down the stalk or whether they glued an already detached animal back down, which wouldn't be very healthy.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's peeling up along the edge from the flow hitting it too hard on the one side for a prolonged period. Being up on a frag plug may be contributing. Usually they are down sitting on the sand with the edges not elevated off the bottom. That said.. I have an aquacultured Fungia that came on a plug and I left it but it's in a pretty low flow spot so the flesh can drape downwards when it expands beyond the skeleton.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's peeling up along the edge from the flow hitting it too hard on the one side for a prolonged period. Being up on a frag plug may be contributing. Usually they are down sitting on the sand with the edges not elevated off the bottom. That said.. I have an aquacultured Fungia that came on a plug and I left it but it's in a pretty low flow spot so the flesh can drape downwards when it expands beyond the skeleton.
Oh thats not good then, im gonna find a place with even less flow and place it in the sand. Can it still be saved? It still eats.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thats not good then, im gonna find a place with even less flow and place it in the sand. Can it still be saved? It still eats.
Well it's just my guess on what's happened. Make sure your parameters are good and nutrients. My Fungia do like to be fed some bits of meaty food 2-3 times a week so if it's eating that's a good sign.

OP
OP
Marc2952

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's just my guess on what's happened. Make sure your parameters are good and nutrients. My Fungia do like to be fed some bits of meaty food 2-3 times a week so if it's eating that's a good sign.
Yea its looking much better after putting it in a low flow area, its even inflated and tentacles are out more, its detaching from the skeleton but very slowly and seems healthy.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back