Please Do not release Fish in Non-Native Waters!!!!

reef life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion Fish! They have become a pest to my local waters and Florida. Someone evidently decided to let some go a while back and now they are everywhere. They multiply like rats, which reproduce almost monthly by hundreds +++. So next time you don't want a fish that is not a native breed, Give it to your LFS.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first off they dont know how lions got into the water. it is thought that a hurricane washed some outdoor tanks into a bay

I ate lionfish for the first time a couple months ago in florida. it was good
when you catch them take a torch and burn there spines then they are safe to handle

but I totally agree DO NOT RELEASE FISH INTO THE WILD

Last edited:

feh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People don't think about the impact doing something like that will have. Its not just marine fish this happens to. Not even just fish. Saw on the news just the other day where someone had abandoned a Ball Python. I completely agree with finding an LFS or good home for it.

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The same is true for snakes. I hear that the everglades have been somewhat taken over by pet snakes that people have released.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
reef life

reef life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish are supposed to be good eating, but its hard to pass up the lobster sitting behind them. Lol. Yes Pythons, Boas, are being found in South Fl almost evry day. Hope they don't become another "Brown Snake".

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish are supposed to be good eating, but its hard to pass up the lobster sitting behind them. Lol. Yes Pythons, Boas, are being found in South Fl almost evry day. Hope they don't become another "Brown Snake".

florida has lobster? well I guess you can call it lobster? hahaha j/k

here in maine the state is crazy about wildlife for fw fish we have a list of fish you can have not a list of what you cant have!
for example if I had a koi fish in a tank with a pad lock on the tank in my basement the wardens could come to my house charge me $10000 and atleast a year in jail this is per fish!!
there reason is the wifey and I could get into a fight she could take my fish and release it
the state also did away with us being allowed to have fish in an outdoor pond, there reason is a bird could fly by grab a fish squeeze it over a lake dumping non native fish eggs into the water and some how tey could hatch and destroy the ecosystem

never move to a "liberal" state lol

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back