Please help: Aiptasias discovered

friendlyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!
Last night I discovered a few tiny Aiptasias on a rock that came with a coral. (Like the frag plugs, just that its a tiny rock.)
As far as I can tell the aiptasias are only on that rock. I am wondering how to face them appropriately.
I was wondering if its an idea to take the coral with the rock out of the tank and to submerge the bottom rock only in hydrogen peroxide? (So that the coral does not touch the hydrogen peroxide)
The coral that is in that rock is a Stylophora pistillata (if i am not mistaken).

Having a great time here: first three months of the tank and I already faced dinos (since adding po4 and uv-c i didnt see any signs of them) and aiptasias. What a struggle.

Hoping you guys can give me some advice!

Please consider: Local reef shops are all closed and a online delivery of aiptasia-x will take a week or so.
I`ve got a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide at home but no "Kalkwasser".

Kind regards and Thanks for your time to read this!

IMG_20200405_184239.jpg

OP
OP
friendlyguy

friendlyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, and not to mention Berghia or Copperbands or other animals that could eat them: I can't buy them at the moment.

Kind regards

OP
OP
friendlyguy

friendlyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Cell!
Thanks for your fast response! I think they are much to small to get them manually, the biggest one is about 1-2mm (0.0393701 to 0.0787402 inch) with its arms taken into account. And they sit in tiny holes of the stone.

Can you describe what you mean by "pull the coral off and chuck the rock"?
Just grab the Coral and rip it out of the Stone?

Again, thanks for your help!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm not totally familiar with that coral, but looking at pictures online it does not look encrusting so you should be able to remove the coral from it. I'm not sure what you mean by "rip it out of the stone", which implies the coral is inside the stone. Remove it however you usually remove coral from plugs or mounts, I use flat tweezers to pry them off.

GaryM1966

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Cell!
Thanks for your fast response! I think they are much to small to get them manually, the biggest one is about 1-2mm (0.0393701 to 0.0787402 inch) with its arms taken into account. And they sit in tiny holes of the stone.

Can you describe what you mean by "pull the coral off and chuck the rock"?
Just grab the Coral and rip it out of the Stone?

Again, thanks for your help!
How did you get on? I just found a similar size Aiptasia today (just one) in a rock, thinking of taking the rock out tomorrow and try to get the little critter but I know they retract in to hide :-(

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definately pull the rock out asap and take care of them before they spread. I usually mix up some kalk paste but if you don't have any then a high caliber pistol will work just as well

OP
OP
friendlyguy

friendlyguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there!
Just wanted to keep you guys posted: I went back to to LFS with the coral and its "rock" with the aiptasia on it.
He just grabbed into the container, broke the coral off the rock and gave it back to me :) 5 Second fix.
Never seen a aiptasia in my tank since then. So: I think i just noticed it early enough before any of those could spread in my tank.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aptasia-X
shoot a bit of into their mouth, they injest it, and often you see a rewarding "pop" as they cannot deal with it and 'splode. Dead aptasia. A bottle of it last a long long time.

Back