Please Help. Clowns just about killed my tang

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For no reason whatsoever while feeding my clowns tonight, the shot 5 feet across the tank and went straight crazy on my yellow tang, and no food was over near it. Its top fin is missing a good chunk now and it just wants to lay on its side and is breathing heavy. I have it in my fuge now and have slowed the flow down to let it rest, but wondering if there is anything I can do to help it. I know that usually a fish laying on its side is a bad thing. I have a silicone net that won’t hang on it’s “spurs” (what I call them) and could place it in that to help keep it upright. Would that help, or is it just wait it out and pray? Just really weird as they have gotten along for a while now and the tang was one of the first in the tank. He wasn’t even by their carpet nem, so it makes no sense to me why they would go after it like that. Any help would be appreciated.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the net would stress him more. Doesn't sound like the tank is too small if it's 5 feet long. Any other fish in the tank?

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, “nanner” didn’t make it. After looking, they got a good chunk from its belly area. This sucks as I was thinking of adding some more tank mates, but after this I am worried.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the net would stress him more. Doesn't sound like the tank is too small if it's 5 feet long. Any other fish in the tank?

I have 2 engineer gobys, pair of mated clowns, mandarin, 6 line wrasse, pink spot goby and a diamond goby.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
110 gallon. The female is an orange ocellaris the male is a yellow ocellaris. They are both about 5 years old. They do spawn a lot, but always by the rock behind their nem. (Right side of tank). The yellow tang swam the whole tank of course, but has always went high when on that side. (Nem is on the bottom buried in the sand). This happened on the left side of the tank and the tang was just picking at a rock below a Kenya tree. Not sure how they even saw him.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
110 gallon. The female is an orange ocellaris the male is a yellow ocellaris. They are both about 5 years old. They do spawn a lot, but always by the rock behind their nem. (Right side of tank). The yellow tang swam the whole tank of course, but has always went high when on that side. (Nem is on the bottom buried in the sand). This happened on the left side of the tank and the tang was just picking at a rock below a Kenya tree. Not sure how they even saw him.

Okay, how big was the Tang? Surprised the tang didn't hold its ground.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss. You may need to get a bigger one if you want to keep them. Big enough to hold the female at bay. I noticed if any fish backs down at any point from my clowns, I have to remove them from the tank.

I can't even get emerald crabs near their spawning area to deal with the bubble algae...

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss. You may need to get a bigger one if you want to keep them. Big enough to hold the female at bay. I noticed if any fish backs down at any point from my clowns, I have to remove them from the tank.

I can't even get emerald crabs near their spawning area to deal with the bubble algae...

I would love to have another yellow tang. It’s weird as it was in there for 9 months, the clowns 6 and now they have a beat down on the tang. I know fish do odd things. I have only been in saltwater for a year now, but have had lots of aggressive and docile fresh water fish for years. This is something I have never heard of though. From all I find, tangs are usually the bullies. Either way, this is defiantly making me rethink another post I have out there about adding some tank mates. Maybe the clowns read the post on the nem net and got angry. Defiantly going to have to think this out about adding fish, as they just killed something that has been there longer than them.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be real jerks the older they get. I had to remove my pair and put them in a small cube alone with no other fish. I turned it into a nem tank with the clowns bc the wife didn't want me to get rid of them.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns can be real jerks the older they get. I had to remove my pair and put them in a small cube alone with no other fish. I turned it into a nem tank with the clowns bc the wife didn't want me to get rid of them.
This. Exactly what I did, except no anenomes it's a GHA tank lol

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife just suggested I turn my QT tank (jbj 29) into a tank for them and put their carpet nem in there. The carpet nem is 10” so not sure how that’s gonna work. Defiantly would be a task as the QT has not had fish in it for months. At least it’s still active and has been taken care of, but that’s a huge bioload to add and my nem is a blue carpet, so not cheap.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could plumb it into your main display giving you the benefit of the main tank's filtration... Just a thought

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to have another yellow tang. It’s weird as it was in there for 9 months, the clowns 6 and now they have a beat down on the tang. I know fish do odd things. I have only been in saltwater for a year now, but have had lots of aggressive and docile fresh water fish for years. This is something I have never heard of though. From all I find, tangs are usually the bullies. Either way, this is defiantly making me rethink another post I have out there about adding some tank mates. Maybe the clowns read the post on the nem net and got angry. Defiantly going to have to think this out about adding fish, as they just killed something that has been there longer than them.

Adding fish is difficult. I added a yellow flanked wrasse, beautiful fish to my 65 with two frost bite clowns, blue dot jawfish, hawkfish, tomini tang (all very small). The wrasse terrorized all of them. If any fish got to food it targeted, they were the target for the day. And I would feed heavy. I thought it would calm down but no luck. It really was a beautiful fish. Found him a home with larger fish and now it is doing well. I got luck I caught it... It stressed out my jawfish of course who died shortly after I caught the wrasse. Losses are hard..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 26 59.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back