Please help identify if this is an issue.

ReeferKush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m new to marine and have recently set us my first saltwater aquarium.

I have introduced 2 fire shrimp and earlier this week (Monday) a royal gramma. All water parameters seem to be ok with no ammonia, nitrate or nitrite present and the KH,Mg & Po in check.

I noticed my gramma had a little off colour patch on the right hand side of its head above its eye. It has not become larger and I can see it spreading in an irregular/blotchy way across to the right side near the gils.

The fish seems to swim as normal. It’s fine are raised when swimming and it eats scarcely when food goes near its cave. I’ve seen it approach the fire shrimp on a few occasions to be cleaned on that side and I can’t identify what it is.

I’ve taken some photos to see if anyone can help identify it. It maybe nothing as I’m new to marine and have little knowledge other than bits from YouTube.

Please help.

Kind regards,
Kush

IMG_8701.png IMG_8700.png IMG_8697.jpeg IMG_8695.jpeg

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The link below gives suggestions (in the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) of what info you can list here to help the experts (#fishmedic ) diagnose the issue:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the pic alone, that looks like an injury, probably from hitting a rock too hard. You’ll have to monitor for signs of infection (redness or a white growth in the area) and treat if necessary.

OP
OP
R

ReeferKush

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R @ReeferKush!

Where did you get the fish from and did it look well at that time hey I got the fish froM a LFS and it was perfectly healthy at the time. I had been keeping my eye on it in store for a few weeks whilst I was setting up the tank. They were the first people I called when I noticed it and they hadn’t come across anything as per my description (I may not have described it right) I’m going back today with photos.

I
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The link below gives suggestions (in the "Aquarium Parameters," "Water quality," and "In-depth Information" sections) of what info you can list here to help the experts (#fishmedic ) diagnose the issue:

Hi,

Thanks for the information I’ll list it out properly in the future. The fish was bought from a LFS and was healthy and had normal colouration. It seems much better over the last 48 hours however there does seem to be a small white patch appearing so I may need to treat it for infection. I’m going to wait another day or two to see if it’s healing or spreading first.

Thank you everyone for all your help and advice. Really helped settle my mind as a newbie to all this!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back