Please help identify this! Hope it’s not Hydroids....

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning and noticed this....

I haven’t fead my corals in probably five months(trying to starve Vermetids off).

I also have zero fish too.
Params are all in check.

Any ideas what this is? Also, if you don’t know, please don’t tell me what it is and simply say you think it’s this. I want to be 100% sure on my next method for them.
1613222968096.jpeg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, colonial hydroids. They are phtosynthetic, just like the coral that most of us keep, and they also feed on particulates. Not easy to eradicate as the 'root' usually stays stuck in the rock and even a tiny leftover piece will regrow a new hydroid.

I've had them for over 20 years, and while they can and do sting, I've found that virtually all corals will grow over them with time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, colonial hydroids. They are phtosynthetic, just like the coral that most of us keep, and they also feed on particulates. Not easy to eradicate as the 'root' usually stays stuck in the rock and even a tiny leftover piece will regrow a new hydroid.

I've had them for over 20 years, and while they can and do sting, I've found that virtually all corals will grow over them with time.
Thanks for this!
I put Kalk paste over a small patch I saw and noticed 80% died. Some came back.... I had that paste on them for hours too.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this!
I put Kalk paste over a small patch I saw and noticed 80% died. Some came back.... I had that paste on them for hours too.
I tried kalking them before. Didn’t work for me. I ended up ditching the rock when I set up a new tank. They’d die back and then come back again after each kalk treatment. However, they did stay in the same area and didn’t move. Mine looked exactly like yours. Kind of pretty to be honest. But not desirable.

OP
OP
bsr2430

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried kalking them before. Didn’t work for me. I ended up ditching the rock when I set up a new tank. They’d die back and then come back again after each kalk treatment. However, they did stay in the same area and didn’t move. Mine looked exactly like yours. Kind of pretty to be honest. But not desirable.
You’re 100% right! They are pretty! But not desirable. This will be interesting on how I can get rid of them. Thank goodness I have zero fish and can try a few methods!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 22 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back