Please help me identify these snails

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only snails I have that I have actually seen bury is my tiger conchs. My nassarius snails I've never seen buried, they're little vacuum cleaners all over the sand rock and glass.

OP
OP
BrianAnthony

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So,I'm going to officially call these guys Nassarius snails. . What was confusing was they don't bury. They love the sand and glass and appear to eat diatoms. They are like little roombas going back and forth.

The only snails I have that I have actually seen bury is my tiger conchs. My nassarius snails I've never seen buried, they're little vacuum cleaners all over the sand rock and glass.
Gotchya. I only have snails in my tank now. I have periwinkles and these nass. I chopped up some raw shrimp and put it into the tank for the nass. I'm wondering if that was a good idea seeing they are really just eating diatoms

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotchya. I only have snails in my tank now. I have periwinkles and these nass. I chopped up some raw shrimp and put it into the tank for the nass. I'm wondering if that was a good idea seeing they are really just eating diatoms
I'd remove it.

OP
OP
BrianAnthony

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my nass go in the sand. Every single one of them.
I'm guessing there's different sub species of nass that prefer sand digging. I know the Vibex Nass is advertised as sand sifting. Perhaps this is what people think of when they hear Nass snail

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210529-125433.png
    Screenshot_20210529-125433.png
    432.6 KB · Views: 20

dsayo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm guessing there's different sub species of nass that prefer sand digging. I know the Vibex Nass is advertised as sand sifting. Perhaps this is what people think of when they hear Nass snail
Totally true. :) good luck and hope all is good with the snail lol. Cheers!

oh and go leafs go. Lolol

OP
OP
BrianAnthony

BrianAnthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***UPDATE***
ok... So these snails have finally been observed submerging themselves into the sand bed. It's been about a week and a half since I got them. It appears that they enjoy eating and going for a nap. They don't submerge completely (they could if they wanted to) the tops of their shells remain visible while their long nose protrudes the sand. While bits of shrimp, pellet food and algae have always been present in the tank, I did some tank maint and suctioned out all the old food and placed a new shrimp into the aquarium. They swarmed the shrimp and began feeding. So, these snails have been observed dining on diatoms and shrimp. So, their behavior is closely aligned to the Nass Vibex, but not completely.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back