Please Help my Torches are dying and im not sure why.

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish then I could take them out and put them in the “dungeon” lol but I took numerous time lapse videos over the past few days hoping it was my cleaner shrimp, hermit crabs or maybe one of the fish but nothing. That’s how I usually find eaters lol
But yeah my ALK is on point with the trident controlled dosing.
I notice some kind of fuzz or something on the skeleton? Have you tested your product water with an ammonia test kit maybe chloramines are the culprit?

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice some kind of fuzz or something on the skeleton? Have you tested your product water with an ammonia test kit maybe chloramines are the culprit?
I have the seneye reef monitor and my ammonia is 0

I have a 7 stage rodi I maintain with a liter meter and I almost always have a 0 final tds reading so I would be upset if that was the issue chloramine. I will get a chloramine test kit just because I don’t have one but my hach pool test kit when I checked now says 0 chlorine on my source water.

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That part of the skeleton also had the torch tissue growing over I figured that fuzzy part is what is left of that tissue.... idk...

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s today’s update...did another 75% water change yesterday I matched all the water change parameters to my tanks, lowered my light intensity on my radions from 45% to 35% and did a few iodine dips every other day,

think I should still iodine dip?

My nitrates are now down to under 2ppm which is good and I won’t stress about that anymore but these guys aren’t getting better...and now my hammer is closing up. :/
D51B169E-EFFF-4BC0-99C6-5CB0B1B4660B.jpeg
A6E692B7-D0E5-4298-B0D7-687206487D21.jpeg
56CFF192-D01C-479C-8BEE-5785CCA3B074.jpeg

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s today’s update...did another 75% water change yesterday I matched all the water change parameters to my tanks, lowered my light intensity on my radions from 45% to 35% and did a few iodine dips every other day,

think I should still iodine dip?

My nitrates are now down to under 2ppm which is good and I won’t stress about that anymore but these guys aren’t getting better...and now my hammer is closing up. :/
D51B169E-EFFF-4BC0-99C6-5CB0B1B4660B.jpeg
A6E692B7-D0E5-4298-B0D7-687206487D21.jpeg
56CFF192-D01C-479C-8BEE-5785CCA3B074.jpeg
I would say maybe brown jelly but looking at the photos they would be completely covered by now. Did the rock come from a tank that could have treated fish with copper?

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say maybe brown jelly but looking at the photos they would be completely covered by now. Did the rock come from a tank that could have treated fish with copper?
No all my rock was new and I’ve never treated with copper I’m waiting for the Icp test I sent out when I first had problems to come back it should be ready by now

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the white fuzz be some kind of fungal or bacterial infection? I am not sure just thinking of other ideas
I have no idea my other LPS and SPS seem to be doing just fine so it’s very possible.... think I should i should dip my hammer in iodine ?

it didn’t seem to help my two torches and Duncan and I dipped them three times about every other day so far....I’d hate to lose that hammer I’ve had and fragged that guy so many times over the years... any idea on what I can do?

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This person seemed to have the same issues

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be some type of fungus infection.... they said they dipped in a solution of 5:1 ratio of tank water and h2o2(hydrogen peroxide) for 5-7 minute

i may do this but I’m really concerned about how that would affect the coral tissue, what do you guys think?

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea my other LPS and SPS seem to be doing just fine so it’s very possible.... think I should i should dip my hammer in iodine ?

it didn’t seem to help my two torches and Duncan and I dipped them three times about every other day so far....I’d hate to lose that hammer I’ve had and fragged that guy so many times over the years... any idea on what I can do?
If the iodine dip did not help the others and if they had the same issue I would say no need to stress the coral any further if it is not going to do any good. I am so sorry I have no idea what to do about the fuzz have not seen that before

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to be some type of fungus infection.... they said they dipped in a solution of 5:1 ratio of tank water and h2o2(hydrogen peroxide) for 5-7 minute

i may do this but I’m really concerned about how that would affect the coral tissue, what do you guys think?
Did it work? I dipped a few frags of zoas awhile back I bought that had some gha it was rough on them but they eventually pulled through. As far as hydrogen peroxide on stoney corals that I have not tried

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi i just read the other thread also ,sorry i have not come across this in 3 decades of reefing,try the peroxide treatment in my opinion,cannot hurt at this point,sorry for your losses,best wishes,following @vetteguy53081 any idea?

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are any of these corals wild? Could be a fungus/bacteria/sponge/something that is effecting corals in a particular region
I have no idea I got them from my LFS but I didn't even think about sponges until now that I'm thinking about it I remember months ago I had a white sponge grow on the side near one of my lobo's i removed as much of it as i could but of course I probably ended up spreading it by doing that but there are some sponges growing in my overflow that I'm going to see if i can upload a picture of that, but idk never heard of sponges being an issue

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i agree do not see sponge being problem,lps much stronger than sponge jmo

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi i just read the other thread also ,sorry i have not come across this in 3 decades of reefing,try the peroxide treatment in my opinion,cannot hurt at this point,sorry for your losses,best wishes,following @vetteguy53081 any idea?
Thanks man I'm just so stumped.... whatever it is it had to be bacterial or fungal....still waiting on my ICP test i called unique corals and they said they tested it yesterday but I need to wait a few days to get the results

goettemm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I recently had 4 torches that started to show signs of stress and finally when one head (out of a 3 year old, 15 head colony) started to turn to jelly, I dipped in Rx knowing that my parameters were all good. Low and behold, these flatworms started crawling out from what looked like the head. Not sure if your issue or if peroxide would have killed the flatworms, but may be worth a shot.

May be just me, but I find doing too big of a water change at once is very stressful to my tank (no matter how well matched).

Good luck!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.5%
Back