Please Help my Torches are dying and im not sure why.

goettemm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I recently had 4 torches that started to show signs of stress and finally when one head (out of a 3 year old, 15 head colony) started to turn to jelly, I dipped in Rx knowing that my parameters were all good. Low and behold, these flatworms started crawling out from what looked like the head. Not sure if your issue or if peroxide would have killed the flatworms, but may be worth a shot.

May be just me, but I find doing too big of a water change at once is very stressful to my tank (no matter how well matched).

Good luck!

IMG_0223.jpg

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I recently had 4 torches that started to show signs of stress and finally when one head (out of a 3 year old, 15 head colony) started to turn to jelly, I dipped in Rx knowing that my parameters were all good. Low and behold, these flatworms started crawling out from what looked like the head. Not sure if your issue or if peroxide would have killed the flatworms, but may be worth a shot.

May be just me, but I find doing too big of a water change at once is very stressful to my tank (no matter how well matched).

Good luck!
I’m going to dip the coral in RX tonight I should have done that first but I usually go for the iodine first.
Think I should hit them with an RX dip first then and iodine dip... or vice versa.. or just the RX?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
rx first,saltwater rinse,iodine,second sw rinse bowl"different" then back,jmo. use dt tank water to keep temperate

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rx first,saltwater rinse,iodine,second sw rinse bowl"different" then back,jmo. use dt tank water to keep temperate
Thanks! I’m going to do that now actually!

think I should be extra careful and use fresh solution for each and every dip?
I usually dip them all together with attention so that they don’t touch each other as long as it’s in one dip and not multiple. I was told that was fine by my lfs but I’ve always been skeptical cause I’ve heard otherwise....

But i use an air stones that’s specific to the dip it’s used in since the stones can absorb chemicals but do you think that sufficient to move the water around my dipping containers?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
in my opinion yes in dip,no in rinse ,use separate rinse for each coral,kinda rinse and swish gently

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s definitely what I’m trying to do hopefully the 50% water changes every other day isn’t to much stress on the corals, I match all my water change parameters with my tank parameters to be as friendly on the corals as possible.

All my other coral are doing great.

Not quite sure doing that many water changes would help but could be mistaken. If you think something is in the water a good sized change and carbon would suffice.

A few of them look like they are beyond recovery. Sorry about the lost but try to simplify it all first and foremost best you can.

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my gold torch is a goner but there’s still hope for my other torch and my hammer that one started receding today. All my other LPS and and SPS are doing great which is good at least my tank isn’t crashing.... so I hope

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my gold torch is a goner but there’s still hope for my other torch and my hammer that one started receding today. All my other LPS and and SPS are doing great which is good at least my tank isn’t crashing.... so I hope

Just try not to make too many changes to soon. It’ll turn out bad. I’d ask the LFS the source though. Those coral unless all diseased shouldn’t die like that unless something got into your water.

Don’t remember reading about how you did ATO, etc while away but unless someone put in straight tap water then I’d imagine you should be fine there. The whole chemical in the water thing can be exacerbated.

Really just feel you got a bad batch of coral and your tank may not be prepared for that source of coral.

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you buy them? They do look like maricultured pieces. If so that could be more your problem than anything.
The gold one my lfs cut it off a large colony they had I’m not sure where they got it from but that and my other torch I’ve had for about 3 months

my hammer I’ve had for quite a few years from previous tank builds and the Duncan i got from WWC about 4 months ago

my current tank is about a year old

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gold one my lfs cut it off a large colony they had I’m not sure where they got it from but that and my other torch I’ve had for about 3 months

my hammer I’ve had for quite a few years from previous tank builds and the Duncan i got from WWC about 4 months ago

my current tank is about a year old

Maybe toxins from the others dying affected the other? Just a guess but seems logical.

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick comment. I myself have had 2 torch corals die the same way yours are and could not find a reason for the problems. Water was fine, dipped and no flat worms. I had other coral in the tank that had any problems and also a few hammers that did not have any problems. Just seemed that the torches had the problem.

Good luck and following.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did you find anything in dips??

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you find anything in dips??
nothing just decaying coral tissue came out, it was brown and jelly-like..... , but I'm not sure if this is the same brown jelly other people mention. I think it was just dead coral tissue when I see others with the brown jelly the coral always seems be expelling that brown jelly which my corals never did, just that white fuzzy stuff....

is it bad that i was hoping to see bugs so i can at least know what the problem was? lol

Last edited:

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just too hard to answer possible brown jelly?? as clueless as you rt now :rolleyes: keep us updated,and try to keep questionable corals w flow to overflow,as far away from healthy ones as poss,hoping for good results;)

OP
OP
Shadows Reef

Shadows Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing back. Gave it another H202 baste last night.
I have tried H2O2 yet I’m a little nervous to do so I’ve used it on the base of corals before but never on the entire coral.

how long do you dip each coral in the solution for?

what is the ratio of your solution you use?

what is the strength of H2O2 that you use?

as those come at different percentages as well

but I’m concerned about the H2O2 cutting off the oxygen supply to the coral of dipped for too long I know that h2O2 will pull oxygen from the water very quick so I’d image it have to be a less then a minute dip, maybe even 30 seconds? Idk... just concerned

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
read post 36 for now!!not dipping

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 38 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back