Please help Naso tank not eating

Reef Newbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all

please help with my fish. He cannot eat because in his mouse seem to be white stuff in it. He seem to try to eat but then he spit it out, seem painful for him. Also the body has white as well. He is inside my hospital tank right now and I try to feed him with a Syringe. Thanks for the help.

31CCF803-6932-4791-A7E8-52D76F724B72.jpeg A0794034-79A4-43AE-B728-7AB2397C7DF2.jpeg B553B6EF-5A38-4DA0-A217-4C02862942E8.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These appear to be microbial cysts which are located under the outer skin layers of the naso resulting in white lesions and bumps which resembles a small white dot or grain of salt appearance but is actually brooklynella and to your surprise, its not only clowns that get Brooklynella. Some signs you should seeing are rapid gill movements, fish staying close to the surface of the tank and trying to scratch on objects. To follow, you may see loss of appetite, acting lethargic and fading coloration as shown in your picture.
The most effective treatment for this will be a formalin bath for 30-60 minutes depending on the severity of the outbreak.
After this bath keep treating with lower formalin concentrations and if fish is eating , you can offer it seachem metroplex with focus as a binder to food in a quarantine tank for 10-14 days.
For formalin, I would prefer to use Ruby Rally Pro in this situation but quick cure will also work.
IF and IF fish is not highly stressed and breathing rapidly, you can give it a 4-5 minute freshwater dip with tap the same temperature as the display tank. If you have baking soda, add a pinch to the tap water for Ph control but not critical.
I say if as FW dip will add to the stress. Also increase aeration in the tank when treating.
Beautiful Blonde naso otherwise

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
These appear to be microbial cysts which are located under the outer skin layers of the naso resulting in white lesions and bumps which resembles a small white dot or grain of salt appearance but is actually brooklynella and to your surprise, its not only clowns that get Brooklynella. Some signs you should seeing are rapid gill movements, fish staying close to the surface of the tank and trying to scratch on objects. To follow, you may see loss of appetite, acting lethargic and fading coloration as shown in your picture.
The most effective treatment for this will be a formalin bath for 30-60 minutes depending on the severity of the outbreak.
After this bath keep treating with lower formalin concentrations and if fish is eating , you can offer it seachem metroplex with focus as a binder to food in a quarantine tank for 10-14 days.
For formalin, I would prefer to use Ruby Rally Pro in this situation but quick cure will also work.
IF and IF fish is not highly stressed and breathing rapidly, you can give it a 4-5 minute freshwater dip with tap the same temperature as the display tank. If you have baking soda, add a pinch to the tap water for Ph control but not critical.
I say if as FW dip will add to the stress. Also increase aeration in the tank when treating.
Beautiful Blonde naso otherwise
Great info. @jayhemdal do you got anything for this member?

hopefully it pulls through and you have the correct advice

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info. @jayhemdal do you got anything for this member?

hopefully it pulls through and you have the correct advice
Sorry, I can’t tell what this is. A short video might help.
Jay

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see oval countable grayish to white “spots” intermingled with some serious scratch marks, so I think Ick, super common.
If you agree, I’d put him into Hypo (1.009) and see if we can kill them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back