please help! sudden fish issue

Ennvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this guy was fine, but i couldn't sleep so i got up to check out the tank and now he looks like he's a goner. saw him just floating around the tank, maybe trying to swim a little but not really. scooped him and he mostly just lays upside down and breathes really hard, but sometimes freaks out and darts, still upside down. what the heck could have happened in the 2 hours i wasn't looking?? everyone else in the tank is fine, i have 2 of these and the other is just sitting in their rock like normal.

20210206_034859.jpg 20210206_035011.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me (and you can kind of look at the others to compare) he looks a little thin. The suddenness - and assuming that you havent added any new fish, etc over the last couple weeks (disease, parasites, etc)- makes it seem like injury from something. Perhaps an attack from another fish?Sometimes as fish 'mature' - they become more territorial, etc. I would watch your other fish carefully. BTW - I'm assuming there were no other changes in the tank, parameters are all ok, etc. By the way - do you have any anemones (that could have stung) - or any other evidence for something like a mantis shrimp, etc. Sorry for your fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that is termed "agonal behavior" and is seen in fish as they die. You need to go into "damage control" to try and deal with any other fish developing the same issue. If/when this fish dies, you should give it a 10 minute freshwater dip, and then view it closely for possible flukes.

This fish looks emaciated, so it may have just had a specific issue with food absorption.

If you want, take a look at the info in the link below my name here, and post a full problem report in the fish disease section.

Jay

OP
OP
Ennvi

Ennvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me (and you can kind of look at the others to compare) he looks a little thin. The suddenness - and assuming that you havent added any new fish, etc over the last couple weeks (disease, parasites, etc)- makes it seem like injury from something. Perhaps an attack from another fish?Sometimes as fish 'mature' - they become more territorial, etc. I would watch your other fish carefully. BTW - I'm assuming there were no other changes in the tank, parameters are all ok, etc. By the way - do you have any anemones (that could have stung) - or any other evidence for something like a mantis shrimp, etc. Sorry for your fish.
he mighy be, i do have a but of trouble getting them to eat, one will eat pretty well but the other one only comes out every few days. no anemones, only aggression right now is a broody clow fish, but i havent seen her go after anyone (except for my hand lol) she just chases stuff away from her rock. parameters are okay, im struggling to get an accurate reading, either my kit is defective or im doing it wrong lol. but i toom water into the LFS and they said the only issue is that my nitrates are slightly high but not dangerous.

OP
OP
Ennvi

Ennvi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that is termed "agonal behavior" and is seen in fish as they die. You need to go into "damage control" to try and deal with any other fish developing the same issue. If/when this fish dies, you should give it a 10 minute freshwater dip, and then view it closely for possible flukes.

This fish looks emaciated, so it may have just had a specific issue with food absorption.

If you want, take a look at the info in the link below my name here, and post a full problem report in the fish disease section.

Jay
luckily nobody else seems to be showing this, ive been watchingthe tank all night and everyone else seems normal. i suspect he just wasnt eating, this one in particular was extremely shy and i could hardly get it to come out for feeding, like once every couple of days and only very breif. ill look at rhat link, thank you

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back