Please help with my regal

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a regal angel from world wide corals. She was supposed to come next week per when I selected delivery… she came today. I had to put her in a bucket with an air stone and heater as my qt tank just wasnt ready. I didnt get a notification they were even shipping the fish, only knew because the fedex guy rang the doorbell. So I get home from work she was laying on her side. I put her in my QT tank, it has a lot of crap floating in the water from me trying to get it ready. She is coming to the surface to breathe, so I put a pump and airstone to get her oxygen and did a quick water change. Because of that the water is even filthier. What should I do? Should I leave her in that tank and let things settle or move her? Shes still coming to the water surface to breathe. Im super angry because of the surprise delivery making it so I couldnt properly prepare her tank, and I am not losing her to something dumb like that!!!

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video would help. Need to know current water parameters in ammonia, ph, temp, and salinity. Need to know how you acclimated her.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video would help. Need to know current water parameters in ammonia, ph, temp, and salinity. Need to know how you acclimated her.
Im running the tests now, I cant get a video the water is way too cloudy with algae and ditritus

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also need you to describe your QT equipment.
Qt is a biocube 32 with the standard equipment, air stone, live sand and live rock. Ph is 8.2 temp 79. Still waiting on my ammonia and other tests

Edit: I dont have AC so temp is the lowest I can get without putting ice in

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how dirty the water is from the water change stirring up the sand. I was going to take the sand out but with the delivery being a week early that screwed me up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the water is testing okay but its the crap floating in the water from the sand being disturbed and a hasty algae scraping thats concerning me

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it sounds like it was a tank that has sand and rock in salt water, previously used to keep fish, but it isnt a working tank - no pump and water circulation. You had to quick bring the tank back to life and you did so by changing water.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do you have water circulation in there? Any skimmer or air pump? Also need to know how you acclimated the fish

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video I got

I do have the standard pump and a hang on the back skimmer plus an airstone, there is visible water movement on the surface.

And I honestly just put her in there because when I went to pick her up out of the bucket I thought she was dead and when she moved I panicked and put her in the tank and then did the water change (5 gallons out of 32) because she had been in the 5 gallon bucket with half tank water and half her bag water with stress guard, airstone and heater set to 74. I was afraid to put her in the water with it being cloudy with the disturbed sand bed I was in the middle of removing when fedex dumped her on my door! Been a hot mess because I wasnt prepared for her to come this week as I selected a delivery of next week

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my previous regal eating and treated for ich in this tank before losing her in my power fail and was very successful with her, so this isnt my first regal Im just super stressed because I had no clue they were delivering her today!

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Detritus and sand in the water column won't hurt the fish. Good call on the air stone. If you have a small HOB filter, hang that on with some filter floss to polish the water and get some clarity, lower flow.
Even with how bad it is??

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see my 14 after I stir the sand bed. Looks like dirty milk sometimes. I used to worry about that as well.
Okay cause thats my main worry right now and that shes swimming how she is in my tank

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a video I got

I do have the standard pump and a hang on the back skimmer plus an airstone, there is visible water movement on the surface.

And I honestly just put her in there because when I went to pick her up out of the bucket I thought she was dead and when she moved I panicked and put her in the tank and then did the water change (5 gallons out of 32) because she had been in the 5 gallon bucket with half tank water and half her bag water with stress guard, airstone and heater set to 74. I was afraid to put her in the water with it being cloudy with the disturbed sand bed I was in the middle of removing when fedex dumped her on my door! Been a hot mess because I wasnt prepared for her to come this week as I selected a delivery of next week

Ok so she has experienced ph, salinity, and temp shock throughout that process. She was also stressed by the elevated ammonia level since you had 1/2 of the bucket water being the bag water. At this point, all you can do is to give her a PVC to shelter, turn the lights off, and leave her alone.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so she has experienced ph, salinity, and temp shock throughout that process. She was also stressed by the elevated ammonia level since you had 1/2 of the bucket water being the bag water. At this point, all you can do is to give her a PVC to shelter, turn the lights off, and leave her alone.
Okay I hope shes okay, I knew I screwed up after I put her in there as my instinct was to get her to safety and out of the bucket. Didnt out her in earlier because the water was dirty like this from trying to pull sand out

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She swims like that cuz she isn’t acclimated well and simply looking to escape. Atm, all you can do is to leave her alone but make sure she has a PVC to hide in.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back