Please post your hardscape for inspiration!

OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following in hopes of seeing a scape that I saw not too long ago and can’t seem to find for the life of me. Can’t recall if I searched minimalist or bonsai. It was one of the best scapes I’ve seen. Had tons and tons of comments stating the same. Think the poster was from the south or possibly out of the US. Fingers crossed.

Was in a featured tank? You recall the size?

OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some advice. I am not super stoked on ether scape I have done recently for this tank. All the corals and rock came with the tank.
First attempt.
IMG_4545.JPG

IMG_4546.JPG

IMG_4549.JPG

Second attempt

IMG_4604.JPG

IMG_4605.JPG

IMG_4606.JPG

IMG_4607.JPG

Second attempt what i think throws it off for you is the frags on the left. This can be remedied, and doesnt need done asap. As they enlarge & you use them. You can replace the void with rock & cater to what your accumulated... maybe im wrong, but seems very practical.

After losing everything in an unfortunate crash on my FOWLR 90 gal tall, it was time for a change and I decided to go full mixed reef.
Losing everything was tough but the silver lining ended up being the new hardscape. It was just a pile of rock about half way up the tank before... I wish I had a good before pic. Scaping a 90 tall is not very fun by the way...

20170922_110650.jpg

Im to indecisive to scape a tank so deep! Turned out great!

Jerry Smith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s mine. Mostly reefsaver with a little Fiji and pukani. With the idea of going majority sps to help create more height difference down the road and have the ability to connect the three structures if needed for more real estate.

858fa7506b743a9bfc549b4276818705.jpg

47211b4bc215121c2c69c2edaaf9ab35.jpg
Is that all the way up to the glass? I love look and lots of swimming room
Here's mine, I like a bit of height.

20170920_085608.jpg

20171231_172538.jpg

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the first one better from the pictures. Love the minimalism of both and I bet you get great flow. I also really like how you filled the front right corner with what appears to be a Montipora capricornis, not usually thought of as a bottom dweller.
Thanks! I like the minimalist atheistic nice too but I have a whole other 50 gallon filled with frags and some colonies that I need to move into this tank.
The Monti is a starburst with a few splotches a green in it. It so huge I don’t know where to put it haha.

Salty.Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second attempt what i think throws it off for you is the frags on the left. This can be remedied, and doesnt need done asap. As they enlarge & you use them. You can replace the void with rock & cater to what your accumulated... maybe im wrong, but seems very practical.

Yeah I don’t like the frag rack ether but many of the colonies were damaged during the moving process. I hate wasnting even small pieces of coral.

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! It seems like the majority in the states purchase some type of base rock, or foundation rock, whereas here in Australia we are taught to purchase the branching and interlinking live rocks

OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! It seems like the majority in the states purchase some type of base rock, or foundation rock, whereas here in Australia we are taught to purchase the branching and interlinking live rocks

Sadly Ive done lots of snorkeling & diving, but never in Australia. :) I know what your refering to! I went with reef saver because its the most environmentally friendly at least in the States. If you have a build thread Im going to check it out!

I have never drilled rock. This will be interesting...

OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don’t like the frag rack ether but many of the colonies were damaged during the moving process. I hate wasnting even small pieces of coral.

Its convient. Lots of people do. Im sure ill end up with a scattered corner. :)

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly Ive done lots of snorkeling & diving, but never in Australia. :) I know what your refering to! I went with reef saver because its the most environmentally friendly at least in the States. If you have a build thread Im going to check it out!

I have never drilled rock. This will be interesting...

This is a pretty bad shot, but im at work and its all ive got on my phone.

Screenshot_20180126-103531.png

jimsreef17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1ff4b311b78f64f81f07b987ac431857.jpg

I used roughly 75lbs of dry Pukani in my 70 gallon reef. I wish I hadn’t used as much. It seems to take up quite a bit of space but it’s all been glued together. I’m not too disappointed though because I did achieve my ultimate goal of having plenty of cave space and pass through for my fish.

GucciYoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see the live rock I'm using, I very rarely see it in any youtube videos or thread posts, which originate in the US/Canada

Oh I just saw the $$$ mention, yeah its fairly expensive here too! Its the most premium live rock I could find!

Came in a big box straight from the great barrier reef :p

OP
OP
Brynn

Brynn

Brynn rhymes with Gwynn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I just saw the $$$ mention, yeah its fairly expensive here too! Its the most premium live rock I could find!

Came in a big box straight from the great barrier reef :p

A build thread/tank thread is an online journal. The spotlight tanks have excellent build threads]! Great way to learn about others sucesses & failures. Hardscape wise not really achievable for me.

Im starting mine from ground zero. However, people start threads with established tanks.

Ill PM you my favorite thread just because its that amazing.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back