Status
Not open for further replies.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread has been cleaned up of posts and quoted post. If you have information for the OP please post it. Please do not engage one another in hostile ways. If you disagree with advice, respectfully disagree and if someone comes back hostile they will be thread banned. Thank you.

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is little to no downward pressure on the front panel. Water is pushing out, against it. You’d have to run a brace down the middle of the front pane to brace it.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't touch Red Sea tanks. Known about the seam issues for years.

My local reefing buddy had his blow recently. Red Sea won't do a thing for him. 130+ gallons destroyed his flooring.

BRS Dream tank winner just had his blow AFTER Red Sea told him there was nothing to worry about.

Bring this up in their Facebook group and you're banned.

So yeah, I am passionate about watching out for other hobbyists. Been at this almost two decades and helped more people than I can count. I don't care whose feelings I hurt when it comes to helping people here or every other forum/social media I'm on. If we can't speak the truth, just close up shop.

yikes... BRS dream tank burst? :eek:

SmCaudata

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your build is stacked? So the bottom isn't floated? Or am I just looking at the picture wrong? Don't see that as often in the bigger tanks. That does mean supporting the very edge is less critical as there is less stress on the silicone. The glass itself is strong so seam failure is the main concern.

Anyway, as others have said, the best answer should be from the tank folks. That said, I know you've had issues with them regarding the sump from your build thread so I can understand the concern.

Maybe one of the other builders around here can chime in. I don't know who built your so I don't want to tag anyone.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has been cleaned up of posts and quoted post. If you have information for the OP please post it. Please do not engage one another in hostile ways. If you disagree with advice, respectfully disagree and if someone comes back hostile they will be thread banned. Thank you.
Thank you!

WhiskyTango

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Analysis confirmed that vibrant is just an algaecide , not some bacterial algae killer as stated
Just did a little research. I totally missed this news. There is about half a bottle on my shelf. Not sure what to do with it.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like your build is stacked? So the bottom isn't floated? Or am I just looking at the picture wrong? Don't see that as often in the bigger tanks. That does mean supporting the very edge is less critical as there is less stress on the silicone. The glass itself is strong so seam failure is the main concern.

Anyway, as others have said, the best answer should be from the tank folks. That said, I know you've had issues with them regarding the sump from your build thread so I can understand the concern.

Maybe one of the other builders around here can chime in. I don't know who built your so I don't want to tag anyone.
The sump issue was resolved because I was able to make the skimmer fit through the bottom of the sock opening.

I’m not sure what you mean by “build stacked”? The tank is on the wood stand sitting on the foam.

Aquarium Marketing built this tank. I don’t want to put their name down, I really think they did a dang good job. Super high quality all around.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t a Red Sea tank??

I would be afraid of this, best solution is drain and move and put 3/4” ply down to fully support bottom

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t a Red Sea tank??

I would be afraid of this, best solution is drain and move and put 3/4” ply down to fully support bottom
I would put this on the sides of the tank?

This is a really heavy glass tank FYI.

Slightly older picture. Tank is only like 2 months old.

45A91A3D-A1A4-4750-A31D-5224AED0FCC6.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what the lady who works in the company told me:
Hello , [he] told me theres no risk of a leak in your aquarium because the tank as bottom embracement, moving the tank a little forward is not recommended at this point because plumbing is already in placed, my team do not recommend to move it, you can add the foam on the corners if you prefer

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told them that we can move the tank slightly forward because the bottom is extending off less than an inch throughout the back.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks built a lot better than a red sea tank. I see bottom bracing inside and top bracing :) It also looks much bigger than a red sea tank.

Doubt anyone here is psychic :( but holy crap.. the thought of moving that tank to put new foam under makes my back hurt....

When you getting some corals?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foam under the corner won’t do anything

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks @Hydrored

@Miami Reef ... First, your tanks setup looks amazing. Most radical!

just for reference, stacked build means the vertical panels of glass are stacked on the bottom glass. A floating bottom build is where the vertical panels of glass as siliconed to the outside edges of the bottom glass. Hope that makes sense.

so, this is tough. I can only really speak for a Glass Cages build. I can share our guidelines but don't think they really apply to this situation. This is not our build.

I can think of 2 things, How your feel and the guidance of your builder. sounds like you have good communication with the builder. Its best to explore all options with your builder. Share what you see and how you feel. I am sure they will support you as needed.

There has been some excellent feedback on this thread for you. really good feedback. much that I totally agree with.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an old tank sitting in this exact spot, but I had an aquarium company make a new one with exact dimensions (just a little shorter).

The styrofoam was “glued” on to the wood so they asked if they can just reuse because it’ll be easier. I thought why not?

Someone told me on this forum that the corners are not supported and this can lead to the glass tank busting apart in the future.

I contacted the company that built and set up the tank and they said it shouldn’t cause any of those problems since the corners are supported within 1” and the tank has bottom embracement.

They said I can add styrofoam to the corners if it makes me feel better.

Will this be ok? How I do add styrofoam? Just slide a piece under? I don’t have to remove the water/rocks to lift the tank so the styrofoam can actually support the corners?

Can my tank fall apart?

6F92F787-9B10-43CB-8FAF-E87E32E5AD94.png
52D0FE72-B92E-4BE5-8693-A3AC30AA49D6.jpeg
837B90D7-516A-4EA2-A246-8521B95D257C.jpeg
I'd use masking/painters tape to cover the edges of the tank, then use that yellow industrial spray foam to fill in the gaps, then saw off the edges/paint etc. Just an idea.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks built a lot better than a red sea tank. I see bottom bracing inside and top bracing :) It also looks much bigger than a red sea tank.

Doubt anyone here is psychic :( but holy crap.. the thought of moving that tank to put new foam under makes my back hurt....

When you getting some corals?
Gotta love our internet experts for tank analysis....great review

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back