Status
Not open for further replies.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I love forum advise for tank issues I generally recommend deferring to the company that made the tank if at all possible vs many of us that are honestly just guessing. I would also be sure to run any idea by them for approval. They deal with their tanks and setup far more than anyone here and have a strong interest in not having their tanks fail and get a bad reputation! “Our” fix vs what they say is probably more likely to cause failure.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I love forum advise for tank issues I generally recommend deferring to the company that made the tank if at all possible vs many of us that are honestly just guessing. I would also be sure to run any idea by them for approval. They deal with their tanks and setup far more than anyone here and have a strong interest in not having their tanks fail and get a bad reputation! “Our” fix vs what they say is probably more likely to cause failure.
They said the tank is fine the way it is.

I don’t want my investments to end up dry on the floor one day. If they tell me it’s ok do I take their word?

I don’t have experience with this, that’s why I’m asking for opinions. They said it’s not worth touching. Do I keep pushing them? I don’t know.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said the tank is fine the way it is.

I don’t want my investments to end up dry on the floor one day. If they tell me it’s ok do I take their word?

I don’t have experience with this, that’s why I’m asking for opinions. They said it’s not worth touching. Do I keep pushing them? I don’t know.
I would ask them how the tank is constructed -- stacked bottom or floating bottom. If it's stacked (meaning the bottom panel is supporting the vertical panels), that plus the frame should be plenty to distribute the load and eliminate problems, IMHO.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ask them how the tank is constructed -- stacked bottom or floating bottom. If it's stacked (meaning the bottom panel is supporting the vertical panels), that plus the frame should be plenty to distribute the load and eliminate problems, IMHO.
Thank you, Erin. This is more tangible for me to do. I sent the message. I’ll update with the answer when I get it.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Erin. This is more tangible for me to do. I sent the message. I’ll update with the answer when I get it.
You're welcome. I forgot to tag @Joe Glass Cages on my post. Joe, scroll up and see if you agree with my comment :)

andy28115

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use masking/painters tape to cover the edges of the tank, then use that yellow industrial spray foam to fill in the gaps, then saw off the edges/paint etc. Just an idea.
DO NOT DO THIS. That sh@& is strong. It will either break your glass or your wood stand. I worked for a pest control/repair company. I watched people break through fiberglass tubs with it. The force it exerts is sizable. In my limited experience you will be fine. While much smaller look at the fluval evo s, they are rimless with a complete overhang all around. In my experience building several Ato reservoirs glass thickness is much more important then making sure the entire rim is supported.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flight got canceled, so I’m back home until tomorrow morning.

I can post pics of my tank so you guys can determine if it’s floating or stacked

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the tank manufacturer. There is not enough overhang on that bottom glass to create enough bending moment to break the glass or even bend it enough to cause a seam failure. I would not cut out any of the existing styrofoam as what you add back may not be the same height and may no offer any support. You would likely create more stress on the glass by increasing the overhang. You would need to at least empty the tank and probably lift it up to add any stryofoam under it that would offer any real support.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flight got canceled, so I’m back home until tomorrow morning.

I can post pics of my tank so you guys can determine if it’s floating or stacked
We will not be able to tell since it's got that trim on the bottom. That's why you need to ask the builder ;)

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E62EC603-A60A-4769-9F0D-170103CCEEFD.jpeg
477EA0D7-8AD5-4CC3-822C-B8CF194BC2CB.jpeg
F28902F5-9CC3-4985-9806-28386610301C.jpeg
25AD8360-DF1A-4CFA-937D-0097967D3D5E.jpeg
A4429453-8467-4252-B0CC-19303F32AA69.jpeg
A6138470-64E3-41EF-90EB-F480EDD91B3C.jpeg

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will not be able to tell since it's got that trim on the bottom. That's why you need to ask the builder ;)
Ah. Gotcha. Sorry, I’m new to this and I tried googling but I didn’t really understand what Floating vs stacked (even though it was explained to me lol.)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the tank manufacturer. There is not enough overhang on that bottom glass to create enough bending moment to break the glass or even bend it enough to cause a seam failure. I would not cut out any of the existing styrofoam as what you add back may not be the same height and may no offer any support. You would likely create more stress on the glass by increasing the overhang. You would need to at least empty the tank and probably lift it up to add any stryofoam under it that would offer any real support.
I agree with this. The foam is being compressed and there is no way to "fill" the gap sufficiently without making the tank a lot lighter.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoo!

I’m not gonna touch it. It should hopefully be fine. I can do more damage by trying to mess around with it.

Does that seem fair to you guys, or are there any objections? lol

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have had the foam replaced at least for the esthetic look under a new tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back