Plexiglass lid

djorijun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently needed a new lid for my 5g rimless and my nanocube 28 (I have the top off). I have the BRS lid on my 28g NC but my fish kept jumping out of the bowfront since those DIY lids are mainly for squares/rectangles.

I went to Home Depot last night to try and find a different solution, and ended up in the Plexiglass aisle. To test it out, I bought a piece for my 5 gallon first, did the cutting and BOOM nice looking cover.

My questions:

1. Should I be worried about the fish not having any breathing room? There are some small gaps in the plexiglass. I also don't fill the tank all the way up.

2. I'm currently running a Par38, will the glass be able to handle this type of light? Or will it melt it? Same question for my 28g running an AI Prime.

Thank you

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect you will have some problems with oxygen exchange if you close off the complete top of the aquarium...possible heat problems as well with the lights beating down on the tank with no air flow. Did you consider a piece of egg-crate and cut to size? Or, there's screen kits at home depot/Lowe's where you can make a cover yourself...BRS sells nylon netting that looks very nice (to use with the HD/Lowe's screen edge kits).

OP
OP
D

djorijun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect you will have some problems with oxygen exchange if you close off the complete top of the aquarium...possible heat problems as well with the lights beating down on the tank with no air flow. Did you consider a piece of egg-crate and cut to size? Or, there's screen kits at home depot/Lowe's where you can make a cover yourself...BRS sells nylon netting that looks very nice (to use with the HD/Lowe's screen edge kits).

Yes I was thinking of going with a screen kit, or possibly drilling a bunch of holes in the plexiglass lid for more air exchange. For the 5g there are some pretty big gaps to allow the HOB filter to flow. To be honest I will be either making the holes or just switching to a screen kit, but needed something for the next few days to hold me off. This is my work tank and my snails like to crawl out and since I'll be at another office for the next 5 days, I just needed something easy.

You think this will be ok for the next five days?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bowing will depend on the thickness and heat. I have 3/8 on mine now I had the thinner HD stuff.
I've never had and ph problems.

I also just bought screening and am going to cut holes and put the screen on the acrylic.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is what I did.
20170707_162939_zpskx0drold.jpg

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plexiglas (only one s) is a brand name of acrylic. all plastics absorb a certain amount of water, acrylic absorbing a good amount. that causes bowing and you might not know the extent of bowing for several months. you can flip your lid over when you notice bowing to even it out though.

ImGood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use plexiglas/ acrylic on a 10 g. QT,( it does have a bubbler)No ill effects, it does sagg slightly,& it cuts down significantly on evaporation I use glass to cover.the 400g DT with no ill effects.it does significantly reduce evaporation, im down to 1 litre/quart a day vs 2 +gallons/day.

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back