Plugging Drilled Tank

arice22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I’m going to try to make this as short as possible. I just recently purchased my first house and I’m in the process of moving my reef tank here. I’m currently using a 40 gallon breeder with a Fiji cube aio internal sump (similar to the Fluval evo). My neighbor gave me his old 75 gallon for free but it is drilled with an overflow. I do not plan on running a sump right now, I’m going to use a Fluval 407 canister.

My main question is how do I go about plugging the hole? My LFS said to just use a bulkhead with a cap and I can still use the overflow area to house my drain line for the canister. Is that a good option?

Please help! I need to get this tank setup and cycling ASAP!

36EC5043-BB1D-4594-BC32-BA330E3027B6.jpeg D1929AC4-6CC1-4EA7-B490-CD8A4E5B37E9.jpeg

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of hardware stores sell purpose made bulkhead "plugs" rather than "covers" I would buy the plug just for the sake of peace of mind with the pressure the water will exert on it. A good bulkhead plug will run ya 20-40 bucks.

Hepatitis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to do it, I'd take a 1" thick acrylic or delmar plastic (its black) and cut a circle of it about 1/4‐1/2" wider than the hole, and use a router to shave it into a plug shape. Then squirt silicone all around the base and clamp it to the glass overnight.

Go back in the morning and cut the excess off and seal it on both sides with a smooth line.

OP
OP
arice22

arice22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were to do it, I'd take a 1" thick acrylic or delmar plastic (its black) and cut a circle of it about 1/4‐1/2" wider than the hole, and use a router to shave it into a plug shape. Then squirt silicone all around the base and clamp it to the glass overnight.

Go back in the morning and cut the excess off and seal it on both sides with a smooth line.
I was thinking about that but I’m worried about leaks. My LFS said that method would possibly be more prone?

OP
OP
arice22

arice22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of hardware stores sell purpose made bulkhead "plugs" rather than "covers" I would buy the plug just for the sake of peace of mind with the pressure the water will exert on it. A good bulkhead plug will run ya 20-40 bucks.
Okay that’s not too bad at all! If I went that route would I still be able to use the overflow to house my drain line? I’m new to overflows and canisters!

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay that’s not too bad at all! If I went that route would I still be able to use the overflow to house my drain line? I’m new to overflows and canisters!
The drain line for the canister filter? You can just try to space the intake and outflow for the canister apart if they're right next to each other the filter will not be as efficient. If you ever wanted to run a drain line to a sump from the bulkhead you'd need to drain the aquarium to set up the line. The plug will come back off but it can be a real pain to drain a set up tank.

OP
OP
arice22

arice22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way you could send me a link to an example? I’m not finding anything online that looks like what I need to get. I’m sorry to ask that, I’m just new to all the “plumbing”

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way you could send me a link to an example? I’m not finding anything online that looks like what I need to get. I’m sorry to ask that, I’m just new to all the “plumbing”

You screw it right into the bulkhead for added security you could put silicone on the threads before screwing it in.

OP
OP
arice22

arice22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drain line for the canister filter? You can just try to space the intake and outflow for the canister apart if they're right next to each other the filter will not be as efficient. If you ever wanted to run a drain line to a sump from the bulkhead you'd need to drain the aquarium to set up the line. The plug will come back off but it can be a real pain to drain a set up tank.
Yes I’m thinking I will put the intake in the overflow box and keep the outflow outside that box. Would that work?

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’m thinking I will put the intake in the overflow box and keep the outflow outside that box. Would that work?
Ya that would be fine only issue I could see is if an absolute ton of algae got stuck on the teeth for the overflow weir but that's a long shot and it would just wear out the pump on the canister. Just keep the teeth on the weir free of stuff and you'll be fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back