Plumbing question for new 240 gallon

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im currently in the process of getting everything together for plumbing my 240 gallon tank. I have double sided threaded bulkheads and was curious as to what others use to get threaded pvc unions a proper water seal? During my leak test I used teflon tape and it wasn't too successful. A few had small water drops. Could possibly be the wrong teflon tape? Or maybe not enough tape on the threads? I've also read in other threads never to use teflon tape but some say yes. Very confused, lol.

IronVulture

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use more teflon tape it is the easiest cleanest way to seal the threads. About 10 wraps should do maybe a little more if your using the really cheap stuff.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to get threaded bulkheads to seal is to throw them in the trash and get slip fittings instead.

SR Aquaristik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use low tensile strength silicone, it enables you to reuse any threaded bulkheads if you change your plumbing. I will never use anything else on threaded fittings. Aquascape makes a great silicone for threaded pond fittings. Do not use it to seal an Aquarium. I hope this helps!

cshplumber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a higher quality (thicker) Teflon tape and make sure it's put on clockwise. Silicone works well too but be carefull because it can act as a lubricant and before you know it the fitting is buried all the way into the bulkhead and the bulkhead is cracked.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back