Plumbing question? I need long bulkheads.

CayeCaulker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a custom stand built for my aquarium project.
150g Show, I got the tank used and of course the bulkheads were missing. The holes look to be about 2". I have two holes in the tank. One is the return. The other will be the supply .

I got the crazy idea of putting a granite top on my stand with a ledge so I can sit and have a beer watching the tank. Well The slab is 3/4". And now I need to drill holes through the slab and install bulkheads. It is getting tricky. I need to drill holes and get bulkheads that will go through the granite and still allow me to hook up tubing. I am not sure where to find these?

Figured I would reach out to the community.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't use the granite to secure a bulkhead, so no need for anything special.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. So this.

Honestly the best thing would to be to just cut a square around the bulk heads If they are close together, If not just upsize the hole. I'd place your bulkhead on the spot and outline it. I'd cut at least 1.5" from the outline.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aqueon Overflow kit has very long threads terminating in 1.25” or 1” barbed ends (I think?)
I still have a set …they “might” work…maybe…

Aqueon AAG29251 Overflow Accessory New Kit​

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly the best thing would to be to just cut a square around the bulk heads If they are close together, If not just upsize the hole. I'd place your bulkhead on the spot and outline it. I'd cut at least 1.5" from the outline.
Yeah this is one of those "ask me how I know" situations. Thank god it was plywood and not granite in my case.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Square holes would be hard

Not with the right tools. I don't know how your cutting it or the location of your bulkheads. If they were next to each other I'd go square. If they aren't next to each other I would not.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had a granite counter top installed, they purposely cut round corners. I was told this was to minimize stress cracking. Straight corners cause stress fractures, that can actually snap the granite in the corner.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two holes in the tank. One is the return. The other will be supply.
You may want to add more holes while your at it if you want the system to be quiet and safe. Sounds like you have 2 drains right now. Primary and emergency. You will want 2 drains to have the ability to safely silence it. Old owner probably had the return plumed up and over the side. Cut some bulkheads into the top of the back glass and use lock line to direct the flow in your tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back