Plumbing questions from newbie

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading from a plug and play Red Sea Reefer to an Innovative Marine INT 200 Peninsula with Fiji Cube 46" sump. I will be purchasing all the plumbing supplies this week so I can use the $10 BRS codes I got from Black Friday shopping. The tank will arrive in 2-3 weeks. I watched a few YouTube videos and understand the basics. But I still have a few questions and I apologize in advance for my noobness.

The tank has Bean Animal internal overflow with 1" drain lines and 3/4" return. I am hoping the drain lines will go straight directly into the bulkhead in the sump to keep things super simple. The return will just go up, elbow, run across the sump, elbow up to bulkhead. This is what I plan to purchase:

Drain Lines Plumbing
46" 1in schedule 40 pipe
1in union slip x slip (x3)

Return Line Plumbing
24" 3/4in schedule 40 pipe (x4)
3/4in elbow (x2)
3/4in union slip x slip (x3)
3/4in union slip x thread (for connecting to silicone tubing)
3/4in silicone tubing
3/4in barb threaded

Questions
1. Does the parts list look good? Anything I am missing or anything incorrectly picked?
2. When connecting PVC to union, I still have to glue the pvc to the union right? I read somewhere that if you use union for everything, you don't even need glue for your plumbing? That got me confused....
3. Is silicone tubing to help silence return pump a good choice? Or should I use vinyl or braided tubing?
4. When measuring and cutting PVC, how do you account for the amount of PVC that will go into the fittings? Just guesstimate? During dry fitting, you can't push the pipe all the way into the fitting...

Kiwi reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see any tool lists with your parts, Have you already got the tools?

I use slip unions so i glue mine, i have read the guys who use threaded unions dont need to.

Ive found Scheduel 80 plumbing parts have been all very simular on there depth for piping etc, if you feel the urge you can always measure the depth and go from there basic calipers will help you out or tape measure

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yes account for length going into unions. Consider adding shutoff valves at least from return or check valves
Use 2 part(primer and glue). By oatey. Home Depot has all this stuff

OP
OP
N

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see any tool lists with your parts, Have you already got the tools?

I use slip unions so i glue mine, i have read the guys who use threaded unions dont need to.

Ive found Scheduel 80 plumbing parts have been all very simular on there depth for piping etc, if you feel the urge you can always measure the depth and go from there basic calipers will help you out or tape measure
I plan to buy pvc cutter and oatey fusion one step from home Depot once I get the plumbing parts from BRS.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres a step inside the slip pvc fittings that the tubing will bottom out on when you put them in with the glue on them...one inch fittings go in about an inch, 3/4 fittings about 7/8...so just measure to the step and make the tubing that much longer...Oatey clear pvc primer is available ( just not at HD or Lowes ) which will look a lot better than runny purple primer ...you may have to chase that down online....a union is a connection between 2 pipes that can be disassembled by unscrewing a large threaded collar which holds the 2 halves together...tapered faces seal against each other when the collar is tightened...this gives you a spot where you can easily take things apart (as opposed to just gluing 2 pipes together with a coupling)...but the 2 pipes still need to be glued into the 2 halves of the coupling

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More questions =)

1. I have the oatley one step. Can I use it to glue PVC pipe to overflow bulkhead? I read you shouldn't use primer for abs bulkhead. Same when attaching PVC to bulkhead in sump?

2. Why are there bulkheads in the sump anyways? Shouldn't the PVC pipe just go straight into the sump?

3. What's the easiest way to shift a PVC a few inches? Two 45 degree fittings?

4. My overflow drain is 1". My sump bulkhead is 1.5". What to do in this instance?

stevediaz1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question for anybody that could help me I have 120 gallon build and my drain pipe size is 1.5 inches and my return pipe is 1 inch but the bulk head at the weir where the loc-line is 1/2 inch size is that ok…..or should I get a 1 inch bulkhead and 1 inch loc-line
(Is there any 1 inch loc-line?) where does loc-line size stop any body knows?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back