Pluming Skimmer to overflow? Would this work?

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is upstairs and the overflow returns the water back down into the basement sump. I’m wondering, would it work to plumb my recirculating skimmer and/or algae scrubber to the overflow pipping and then into the sump. I’ve never heard or seen someone do this, but not sure why it wouldn’t work? It would be an easy way to minimize the need for extra pumps by just letting gravity to all the work for you.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is upstairs and the overflow returns the water back down into the basement sump. I’m wondering, would it work to plumb my recirculating skimmer and/or algae scrubber to the overflow pipping and then into the sump. I’ve never heard or seen someone do this, but not sure why it wouldn’t work? It would be an easy way to minimize the need for extra pumps by just letting gravity to all the work for you.
If by 'overflow piping' you mean the drain pipe, I'd worry it would slow the flow too much...

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If by 'overflow piping' you mean the drain pipe, I'd worry it would slow the flow too much...
My thought would be to split the overflow pipping and have one run to the skimmer, which I can regulate and hav the remaining flow back to the sump as normal. I’m getting around 1000GPH through the overflow. So I’d think u could potentially direct 100GPH of that through the skimmer.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought would be to split the overflow pipping and have one run to the skimmer, which I can regulate and hav the remaining flow back to the sump as normal. I’m getting around 1000GPH through the overflow. So I’d think u could potentially direct 100GPH of that through the skimmer.
Since the skimmer requires a pump for foam fractionation, I can't see how gravity alone would drive this. Once the water hits the skimmer, the flow will basically stop, or at least slow considerably.

The overflow rating of 1000gph just means that it is large enough (or small enough, depending on how you look at it) to handle a pump that pushes 1000gph, it doesn't increase the velocity of water falling by gravity alone.

It would be a good idea if it worked, but gravity just isn't enough to replace a pump in this situation.

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure it would work fine for a recirc skimmer, as the feed pump has nothing to do with the foam fraction...you would need to match the feed pump gph for the skimmer though...what skimmer do you have?

Edit: just found this on BRS under the RO Classic 150ext:
  • Requires a feed pump or plumbed from an overflow to inject water into skimmer

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've considered this. The biggest issue is making sure that you get the small bubbles and a good vortex. Also, you want to make sure you get the contact the with the air so that the skimmer can do it's job. That's often achieved through some sort of reversal of flow or massive vortex. I'd say it's definitely doable but it may take some modification to make it work efficiently and effectively.

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This used to be done a lot and can be very efficient if done right. There are a few things you need to consider. one is the recirculating skimmers require a certain amount gph of water through the skimmer to function properly. so you have to match that volume from the display. The other is air bubbles entering the skimmer and breaking up the foam head in the skimmer. I ran a skimmer off one my overflows for years without issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure it would work fine for a recirc skimmer, as the feed pump has nothing to do with the foam fraction...you would need to match the feed pump gph for the skimmer though...what skimmer do you have?

Edit: just found this on BRS under the RO Classic 150ext:
  • Requires a feed pump or plumbed from an overflow to inject water into skimmer
This is my skimmer

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see my thinking is on the right track. I think it might be easier to run my algae scrubber off the overflow then the skimmer. So might try that and leave a feed pump in the skimmer. It’s not like I don’t have 6 extra pumps always laying around anyways :)…just thought it could reduce the clutter and one less pump for maintenance

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Says that skimmer will need 600-1000gph fed to it...
yea ... i miss spoke, my current return pump has 2,000 gph flow :). So I think it would still be doable, but might try it on my algae scrubber instead. Seems simpler with potential less problems.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea ... i miss spoke, my current return pump has 2,000 gph flow :). So I think it would still be doable
Are you thinking of plumbing it after your return pump? If you're still relying on gravity and the skimmer requires 600-1000gph, gravity-feeding it won't work regardless of how powerful your pump is.

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erin, it's a recirc skimmer...we're talking about the feed pump/water, not the foam fraction pump.

Andrew, it's definitely doable, just a matter of doing it! :cool:

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried this on a smaller scale a long time ago. There is air in the water returning from the display tank. It causes big bubble to enter the skimmer and kills the foam. I scrapped the project pretty quickly though.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you can provide the skimmer with enough water and you can prevent large bubbles from entering the skimmer it definitely will work. By feeding the skimmer via a full siphon drain, you shouldn't have to worry about any air bubbles causing issues with the foam head. I have the regal 250-ext and its a great skimmer. I personally have mine running of my manifold fed by my second pump.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erin, it's a recirc skimmer...we're talking about the feed pump/water, not the foam fraction pump.

Andrew, it's definitely doable, just a matter of doing it! :cool:
Thanks for the explanation! I'm honestly not familiar with that kind of skimmer.

Fuzznutz36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the explanation! I'm honestly not familiar with that kind of skimmer.
No worries, a recirc skimmer does not rely on the needle wheel pump to pull water into the skimmer body. Instead, an external pump (or drain in this case) feeds the skimmer body and the needle wheel pump is just for foam fraction inside the skimmer. This makes it so the skimmer does not need to sit in a predetermined water depth (or in any water for that matter).

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back