Pocillopora question

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my second SPS coral (Lemonshade pocillopora - 4th generation frag so used to LED's). My monti is doing well (finally) so I thought I would get another reportedly easier SPS. Things look good so far but I am curious about light acclimation. My understanding is that this coral does fine in medium light and medium flow but color intensity is much better with higher lights. With that in mind my intention is to put it at the very top of my tank (see pic of tank....very top of live rock formation is my target spot). How slow or quickly should I move the coral up? I purchase it Friday and currently have it about 1 or 2 inches off the sand bed for now. Polyp extension looks fine so far. My light is a nanobox mini tide M set 6 inches above water line set to dave's new mixed tank default settings. royal blue-75%, white/lime = 35%, Violet - 75%, clue/cyan - 75%, moon - 75% Tank is a small 14g nano almost 3 months old

tank 1-12.jpg

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how strong that light is but I’d probably start the frag at about the middle, especially if it’s used to LEDs.

OP
OP
Duane Clark

Duane Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how strong that light is but I’d probably start the frag at about the middle, especially if it’s used to LEDs.
I don't have a PAR meter but specs on the light are supposedly a max PAR of 250 in the center

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave it low for a few days, move it the middle for a few days, and then put it in its final spot if everything looks good.

They are pretty tough.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, I've never worried about slowly light acclimating. I've always just thrown my sps right where I want them. I even have real strong LEDs just a couple inches off the water. I say put it where you want it, no reason to wait. I threw my pocillopora right to the top of mine here's a pic of it. Never had an issue

20171230_153059.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back