Pods or something more diabolical?

Pelagikos

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2021
Messages
225
Reaction score
216
Location
Gloucester County
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys just a quick question.
Monthly, I add @AlgaeBarn ecopods. A couple of months ago I used one shipment of the Galaxy pod mix.
Today while feeding my corals, I noticed in my chaeto overgrowth box these little (1/8 inch?) critters.
I've looked around at some pictures but I can't seem to find any pods that resemble what I'm seeing here.
Can anyone confirm what they may be? Sorry, it's the best photo I can get.
20220913_115955.jpg
20220913_121836.jpg 20220913_121845.jpg
 
I’m seeing amphipods and isopods - good guys!
+1.
Amphipods have curved backs while Munnid isopods have flattened backs, though they look very similar when clinging to glass. Both "pods" are harmless scavengers/grazers that serve as live food for larger organisms.

Amphipod:
1663128673029.png


Munnid isopod:
1663128703781.png
 
+1.
Amphipods have curved backs while Munnid isopods have flattened backs, though they look very similar when clinging to glass. Both "pods" are harmless scavengers/grazers that serve as live food for larger organisms.

Amphipod:
1663128673029.png


Munnid isopod:
1663128703781.png
Great info! Thank you so much!
I definitely spot what have to be Munnid. Tons of them.
So glad to know that they're not detrimental, although I have read articles that claim certain isopods (or maybe isopods?) can be parasitic to fish. Do you have any information/opinions concerning this?
 
Last edited:
Great info! Thank you so much!
I definitely spot what have to be Munnid. Tons of them.
So glad to know that they're not detrimental, although I have read articles that claim certain isopods can be parasitic to fish. Do you have any information/opinions concerning this?
No problem!
Cirolanid and Aegid isopods are the ones you have to watch out for when it comes to fish:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/
1663130031043.png

1663130087352.png
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new