Poisonous sting of the blue tang, experiences and remedies for pain??

pygoplites77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was handling my blue tang to transfer it to another aquarium, but unfortunately it stung me with the backbone .. The hand swelled and now the pain reaches the arm and fingers..Someone had a similar experience ? How did it solve? it's dangerous?
I read that this fish has poison glands connected to the caudal spine ..

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the part of your hand that that the stung hit below your tap water fixture. Adjust the temperature as high as you can stand (over 45 degree C if possible). Let it be there for 20 to 30 minutes. all venomous fish I know of have toxins of proteins. The pain is from your nerves. The poison is still there you was stinged. The heat will destroy it.

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been out for it with other venomous fish. After the pain has gone - it is wise to visit a hospital but maybe it very difficult to do that in Italy today. With me - i waited 4 hours before treatment at the hospital with this method. The pain will go away quickly but stay a while with the hurted part in the high temperature. If you are well with no hearth or other issues - you will be fine.

Sincerely Lasse

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had that reaction to a tang, I’ve been sliced a few times, but by a yellow and flames tail tang. Try soaking it sting site in warm fresh water. If it gets worse you may want to seek medical attention.

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if u go to ER they will give u antibiotics shot and some pain med. swelling will reduce in 7hrs to 4 days, similar to a bee sting... if ur allergic to bees I'd go see doc... just be careful with the health crisis going on... dont want that next...

epsom salt bath will help draw out poisions/infections and reduce swelling.

Last edited:

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must ask - how long time between the fish stung you and the reaction - if is a couple of hours - toxin - hot water will help. If it a day or two - bacteria and hot water will not help - hospital as soon as possible. I ask because never heard about toxins and tangs. In my cases - lion fish, indian catfish (one of the most venomous freshwater fishes) and "fjärsing" (a local venomous salt water species in swedish water)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
pygoplites77

pygoplites77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, blue tangs are poisonous - I did a search and I found out .. Among other things, I'm not the first one that happened..I am attaching the links at the bottom..Lasse, it stung me 2 hours ago , I called the doctor and he told me to do cortisone bites but I would like to avoid if the pain decreases ... It will serve as experience, I never expected

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, blue tangs are poisonous - I did a search and I found out .. Among other things, I'm not the first one that happened..I am attaching the links at the bottom..Lasse, it stung me 2 hours ago , I called the doctor and he told me to do cortisone bites but I would like to avoid if the pain decreases ... It will serve as experience, I never expected

Hmmmm......crazy. As long as I have kept reef fish, this is the first I have ever heard of Tangs containing venom glands. Learn something new everyday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pygoplites77

pygoplites77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you do the heat method - i promise - it works even if it sounds idiotical - a reaction in 2 hours - poison - i´m sure

Sincerely Lasse

Thanks lasse, I did it and it's working .. I was scared at the beginning and then I decided to write here on reef2reef .. I had already purchased the cortisone but I did well to wait before making the bites .. Thanks to all

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm......crazy. As long as I have kept reef fish, this is the first I have ever heard of Tangs containing venom glands. Learn something new everyday.

From what I found, they aren’t venomous, but their skin is toxic? I learned something new today.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow knew tangs could slice and dice (hence surgeon tangs) but never heard the poison part and I have had several hippos over the years. Learned something new...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
New one to me after keeping these guys for a few decades.

But as Lasse pointed out, hot water, just as hot as you can stand it takes care of most saltwater fish venom stings.

OP
OP
pygoplites77

pygoplites77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I found, they aren’t venomous, but their skin is toxic? I learned something new today.

true, but this is not the case ..
"As its “surgeonfish” name indicates, blue tangs are handy with scalpels. The fish have caudal spines—very sharp spines that can be extended from either side of their caudal peduncle (the area where the tail joins the body). The caudal spine contains toxins that can cause a debilitating pain to small predators and uncomfortable irritation and pain in humans. "

you can find different information about it on the web, using as a search key "paracanthurus hepatus poisonous"

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a close eye on the area it stung you as you can pick up some nasty things from saltwater tanks and they can be far worse than the sting. I was stung by a carpet anemone and I ended up with septicaemia that tracked all up my arm and around my heart. I needed the strongest antibiotics they could give me without admitting me to hospital. I had to laugh when the nurse looked up carpet anemones on her computer and all it said was simply "not always fatal".

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks lasse, I did it and it's working .. I was scared at the beginning and then I decided to write here on reef2reef .. I had already purchased the cortisone but I did well to wait before making the bites .. Thanks to all

How it is today - are you well? Take @mort ´s advice seriously - there could be secondary infections

By the way - I have visit your hometown 3 times and I hope it will be more in the future. I just love that town. The market near Termini, Trastevere and the large park above the spanish steps. I hope that 404 - name not found still will exist when I can visit Rome again. And of cause - aperol spritz even if it is from Venice :p But I leave the trippa for you :D

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
pygoplites77

pygoplites77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How it is today - are you well? Take @mort ´s advice seriously - there could be secondary infections

By the way - I have visit your hometown 3 times and I hope it will be more in the future. I just love that town. The market near Termini, Trastevere and the large park above the spanish steps. I hope that 404 - name not found still will exist when I can visit Rome again. And of cause - aperol spritz even if it is from Venice :p But I leave the trippa for you :D

Sincerely Lasse

Today I am very well thank you ... thank goodness I did not take cortisone..I am pleased you like Rome, apart from the traffic it is wonderful..Venice is unique in the world, I have lived nearby for 5 years and I know it very well ... many aperol spriz .. too many

OP
OP
pygoplites77

pygoplites77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a close eye on the area it stung you as you can pick up some nasty things from saltwater tanks and they can be far worse than the sting. I was stung by a carpet anemone and I ended up with septicaemia that tracked all up my arm and around my heart. I needed the strongest antibiotics they could give me without admitting me to hospital. I had to laugh when the nurse looked up carpet anemones on her computer and all it said was simply "not always fatal".

Things from another world! (Italian expression)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back